If I liked Star of the Sea and This Thing of Darkness, what else might I like?

(27 Posts)
LowLevelWhinging Sun 23-Feb-14 10:34:40

I devoured both these books and whilst they're both about epic historical sea journeys, the thing I liked about them was the history.

Can anyone recommend anything similar?

I'm just reading the Lewis Trilogy at the moment and whilst it's a completely different kind of book, I do find the history of the Scottish highlands and Islands fascinating.

So I guess I'm asking for gripping historical fiction please!

(NOT Wolf Hall! zzzzzzz grin )

LowLevelWhinging Sun 23-Feb-14 20:00:09

bump

maillotjaune Sun 23-Feb-14 22:58:26

Measuring The World - was a recommendation on here after reading This Thing of Darkness. I loved it. Much shorter than TTOD!

Will now watch this with interest to pick up more recommendations.

LowLevelWhinging Mon 24-Feb-14 10:36:54

thank you maillot, that looks good!

Not fiction, but The Worst Journey in the World. Cote liked it and I recommended it to her after she loved This Thing of Darkness too.

More sea stuff (but not fiction)
Revenge of the Whale: The True Story of the Whaleship Essex - Nathaniel Philbrick
The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex - Owen Chase
The above are both about the real life whale that was the inspiration for Moby Dick. The second one is a contemporary account by one of the sailors; the first is a history book.

The Caliban Shore Another non-fiction

Also, try some Giles Milton. Again, they are non-fiction but written almost like fiction, in that they are gripping and non-stuffy/academic.

carlajean Wed 26-Feb-14 07:18:06

How about the Rites of Passage Trilogy by William Golding?

MadamBatShit Mon 03-Mar-14 16:25:51

Oh, I've just read Burial Rites by Hannah Kent, historical fiction, set in Iceland. Very good. Reminded me of the Lewis books, similarity of cultures I guess.

CoteDAzur Sat 08-Mar-14 22:20:26

What is Star Of The Sea like?

Yes, I'd definitely recommend Measuring The World.

maillot - Have you read The Strangest Man yet? OP - I would recommend this to you, too.

CoteDAzur Sun 09-Mar-14 16:36:17

By the way, I'm reading The Luminaries now and it is very good. Impressively well-written, and with an interesting plot. It is historical, although not about known people & events in history like THOD and Measuring The World.

Star of the Sea was okay - takes a while to get into but then isn't too bad. The follow up was awful though - really tedious.

maillotjaune Sun 09-Mar-14 23:26:48

Cote not yet but I have bought it. I have a book on quantum theory to read too, so weighing up which one to go for first. Really struggling with reading time at the moment.

I also loved The Luminaries, would love to have time to read it again actually although it got a mixed review at my book club.

CoteDAzur Mon 10-Mar-14 20:41:49

I'd be interested to hear what you think about that book on quantum theory.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 19-Apr-14 10:04:56

I agree Remus Star of the Sea took a while to get into but was then brilliant. I didn't like his next book either.

MadamBatShit Sat 19-Apr-14 10:30:12

Maybe The Great Sea, a human history of the Mediterranean.

Not fiction though.

skolastica Mon 28-Apr-14 12:21:21

Alice Munro - The View from Castle Rock
Elizabeth Arthur - Antarctic Navigation

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Apr-14 19:20:29

Thank you for reviving this thread smile

Meanwhile, I suffered through read Wolf Hall and totally agree with OP.

I really struggle to understand why so many people rate WH so highly.

In the meantime if anybody has any further recommendations, that would be brilliant!

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Apr-14 19:26:55

I can't say. Maybe they hate correct grammar & punctuation?

The most horribly badly punctuated book I've ever had the misfortune to try reading was, 'Daphne' by Justine Picardie.

CoteDAzur Mon 28-Apr-14 20:26:10

I guess I won't be trying that one, then.

Taking liberties with grammar & punctuation might work if you one is Shakespeare but sadly, HM is not Shakespeare.

And neither is JP! I don't care if people don't follow all of the rules, provided their writing is coherent and that the punctuation doesn't make the actual reading of the book either difficult or irritating. Unfortunately, imvho, HM and JP fail on those counts.

MollyGuacaholly Mon 28-Apr-14 20:39:58

Cormac McCarthy can get away with a few liberties in puntuation though, surely.

MollyGuacaholly Mon 28-Apr-14 20:40:35

punCtutation. duh.

MollyGuacaholly Mon 28-Apr-14 20:40:53

i give up and hide now.

Only read two of his - one of them I hated and the other I was underwhelmed by. I can't remember anything about his punctuation though, so it can't have been as bad as the aforementioned travesties. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now