I loved Gone With The Wind.....

(29 Posts)
lovelybunchofcoconuts Tue 18-Feb-14 17:46:16

It's half term and I'm in bed with a bug.
Can anyone recommend a similar epic book to Gone With The Wind?
I've read The Thorn Birds and I liked that too.
Please can anyone recommend a similar Epic? Or a series?

Thanks.

janesnowdon1 Thu 27-Feb-14 11:06:42

Scarlett always reminds me of Becky Sharpe so I think Vanity Fair would be a good follow on read. Susan Howatch also wrote some great family sagas such as Cashelmara and The Wgeel of Fortune.

The Far Pavilions is excellent, slightly of its time but a good evocative read nonetheless.

nutcasenan Tue 04-Mar-14 00:38:59

Everything after GWTW is bound to be a compromise but for a real page turning saga I would recommend Fall of a Giants by Ken Follet. It's the first of a trilogy. I read the second Winter of the World as soon as I had finished Fall of a Giants. Edge of Eternity should be out soon. Don't give your GWTW away. Keep it for ever. Don't lend it either.

nutcasenan Tue 04-Mar-14 00:39:48

Everything after GWTW is bound to be a compromise but for a real page turning saga I would recommend Fall of a Giants by Ken Follet. It's the first of a trilogy. I read the second Winter of the World as soon as I had finished Fall of a Giants. Edge of Eternity should be out soon. Don't give your GWTW away. Keep it for ever. Don't lend it either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now