The Poisonwood Bible

(31 Posts)
MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 16-Feb-14 18:00:51

I've spent all afternoon sitting in a sunny window reading this (and being supplied with coffee and chocolates by DH smile

It's not the type of book I'd normally choose but I read good reviews and am really enjoying it.

Anyone else enjoyed it?

myitchybeaver Sun 16-Feb-14 18:02:25

One of my favourite books ever, and I read a lot. Oh you lucky thing getting to read it fresh!

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Sun 16-Feb-14 18:10:48

Totally loved it.

I loved it. I also loved The Lacuna.

HermioneWeasley Sun 16-Feb-14 18:18:00

Loved it, was gripped. Don't know anyone who hasn't loved it

NigellasDealer Sun 16-Feb-14 18:19:25

yes i was so gripped by it too

Treaclepot Sun 16-Feb-14 18:19:49

Loved it, would love tp read a book that good again.

Read it about 10 years ago, and I still count it among my favourites.

beaker25 Sun 16-Feb-14 18:22:45

Loved it- I'm jealous that you're reading it for first time. Read this lots of times. I think this is my favourite book actually. Enjoy!

Robbabank Sun 16-Feb-14 18:23:58

Loved it and wanted to like The Lacuna but just couldn't get into it properly at all. Glad you enjoyed it.

DoItTooJulia Sun 16-Feb-14 18:27:59

Loved it! Followed it up with Prodigal Summer, which is totally different, but I loved it.

I liked the Lacuna and Flight Behaviour. Also loved her essay collections. Well worth checking them out!

A very good book. Funny and sad too.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 16-Feb-14 18:36:56

Well, I'm only about a third of the way through so far - reading slowly to enjoy it. (So please don't tell me how it ends!) I'll certainly look for some others of hers.

I'm glad lots of others have enjoyed it too. I'm planning on a very early night to get another hour or so with it before I fall asleep.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 16-Feb-14 18:37:20

Fantastic book, been ages since I read it. This thread is making me want to look it out and reread it!

Hated it. Think I am the only person in the world (or certainly on MN) to do so.

Willemdefoeismine Sun 16-Feb-14 18:41:44

We read it for our Book Group - when I say 'we' I use the term loosely. I didn't get more than an 8th thro' it....I was quite enjoying it but didn't find it a total page-turner.....I was ashamed to be the only one at the Book Group who hadn't read it in its entirety but got the gist from friends and am ashamed to confess that I saw no need to read the rest of it.... so you are not alone RemusLupin (and I'm sure I've said before that I would join you in loving him!).....

It's good not to be alone! smile

roadwalker Sun 16-Feb-14 18:46:48

one of my all time favourites

Bumply Sun 16-Feb-14 19:08:47

I hate it with a passion.
Wish I'd never read it.

BeCool Sun 16-Feb-14 19:13:26

I loved it. I enjoyed the Lacuna even more.

HermioneWeasley Sun 16-Feb-14 19:15:01

Also loved Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven. Haven't tried the Lacuna yet.

DevonFolk Sun 16-Feb-14 19:20:28

The Bean Trees is my favourite Barbara Kingsolver followed closely by the Prodigal Summer. I loved the Poisonwood Bible, just not as much. I've been trying to read Flight Behaviour for a year now but just can't love it like the others sad and I've been warned against The Lacuna!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 16-Feb-14 20:45:34

One of my favourites!

scarlettsmummy2 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:53:36

Loved it!

Cooroo Sun 23-Feb-14 09:45:42

I loved the book, but it spurred me on to read more about the Congo, and that left me feeling very bleak about humanity. Due a re-read I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now