The girl with all the gifts

(15 Posts)
Thatballwasin Sun 26-Jan-14 21:50:11

Wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this as I'm not really into horror/general apocalyptically books although I do like watching the Walking Dead.

The book is amazing. I thought I'd got it conpletely sussed close to the end but even then it managed to surprise me. Really recommend. Don't read if you're feeling a bit down though.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Sun 26-Jan-14 22:05:15

Oh, is it out now?! I was reading a review of it, thinking, that sounds exactly like that short story I read last year, how odd. Turns out it is an expanded version of that, though the author has changed the, er, [avoids spoilers] ...situation a bit. Hope he's changed the ending too...

But, yeah, I'm looking forward to reading it, the short story really stayed with me.

Thatballwasin Sun 26-Jan-14 22:17:47

I'd never heard of the author before but I read a very good review in the Guardian and was intrigued. Kindle version was a bit hard to find at first http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B27ECPY. I fancy Zone One now but will wait until I've pepped up with some chick lit first!

Thatballwasin Sun 26-Jan-14 22:18:06

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B27ECPY]

Thatballwasin Sun 26-Jan-14 22:18:53

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00B27ECPY that will teach me to preview first!

SarahAndFuckTheResolutions Mon 27-Jan-14 19:33:26

I'm watching it on Kindle, hoping the price might drop a bit.

I saw a review of this and really fancy it. Thanks for reminding me!

RollerSkateKate Fri 31-Jan-14 13:42:19

This was recommended to me and I just haven't put it down yet! Am half way through but it is a wonderful page turner.

Haven't read anything like this in ages. Scares me at times (oh the nightmares I've had!) but am not quitting.

How long before its a movie/series?

RaisinGirls Sat 08-Feb-14 11:48:16

Bought this, after reading this thread, and was riverted. Read it in just a few days in every spare moment I had.

Not read much post-apocalyptic fiction, but found this engrossing with some interesting characters. I found the ending sad but strangely hopeful.

Had a quick flick in Waterstones and it appeared to be all in the present tense. If it is, I don't think I'll be able to read it without screaming. Is it?

I am listening to this on audible. I didn't think I'd like it being read to me, but it's very good.

Suzietastic Thu 03-Apr-14 21:59:08

I thought it was great. I didn't expect the ending either.

kittykarate Mon 07-Apr-14 15:13:25

I had a problem with the ending specifically around future lifecycle/breeding that I didn't feel was addressed properly.

It was a good read up until then though.

mum2jakie Wed 16-Apr-14 21:24:30

I read this within the space of a few hours. Found it a fascinating read.

Remus It is actually written in the present tense but, in all honesty, the book is so well written that I hadn't even noticed! (I've just had to flick through to make sure.) Please don't let that put you off - the story is well worth reading. This is a pretty hefty tome but the words just seem to pour off the pages.

MadamBatShit Sat 19-Apr-14 10:32:50

Just finished it, agree with kitty. That was weird and not very satisfying, but the rest was alright. Not as good as Justin Cronin but a nice read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now