Romantic fiction with older leads? Any idea?

(11 Posts)
AnneWentworth Thu 09-Jan-14 18:03:53

Love in theTime of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez?

stleger Thu 09-Jan-14 13:47:22

At Sea by Laurie Graham is sort of romanticish!

OddFodd Thu 09-Jan-14 13:40:43

I love Sue Gee - the Hours of the Night is one of my favourite books.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand is about romance between retired people and is lovely (or is that too old?!)

bibliomania Thu 09-Jan-14 13:30:11

Heartbreak Hotel by Deborah Moggach is lovely.

Mumofjz Wed 08-Jan-14 12:53:49

Thank you i'll go take a look smile

DuchessofMalfi Wed 08-Jan-14 12:14:03

Anything by Katie Fforde - her characters are usually a lot more mature, even if they don't always behave that way grin

highlandcoo Wed 08-Jan-14 09:37:09

Try:

Thin Air and The Hours of the Night, both by Sue Gee.

The Idea of Perfection by Kate Grenville.

And there's a touching thread of the idea of love in old age running through Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver, although it's not the main theme of the book.

SarahAndFuckTheResolutions Tue 07-Jan-14 23:31:16

Slow Waltz in Ceder Bend? I'm sure that's a real book, I remember reading it but I can't remember who it's by.

Mumofjz Tue 07-Jan-14 22:08:32

Thursdays in the park was lovely and so different than the normal 20yr old falling for the dashing rich guy or the college girl//guy thing

mackerella Tue 07-Jan-14 22:03:03

I'm not sure what kind of romantic fiction you like (and I'm not an expert, anyway!) but I've read a few books with older leads recently:

Jump! by Jilly Cooper - I quite enjoyed it but I think I was in a minority! The heroine is a widow in her sixties (although there are the usual shenanigans among the younger characters too)

Thursdays in the Park by Hilary Boyd. I bought this as a 20p Kindle download but it was actually quite good.

There are any number of Joanna Trollope novels that would fit the bill, too.

I'm sure there are plenty of other titles but I can't think of them right now!

Mumofjz Tue 07-Jan-14 21:46:59

looking for romantic fiction with older leads, children, divorce etc... but modern

Can't seem to find anything good other than the leads in their 20's and first flush of romance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now