Is there a Life After Life by Kate Atkinson thread?

(16 Posts)
cremolafoam Sat 11-Jan-14 11:54:35
Crowler Sat 11-Jan-14 11:29:06

I'd love to discuss the ending - maybe someone should start a thread with spoilers.

Crowler Sat 11-Jan-14 11:28:40

I loved it, I couldn't put it down. The writing is beautiful.

I don't know how she pulled it off.

BillyBanter Sat 11-Jan-14 11:24:55

'as if there were a few paras'

BillyBanter Sat 11-Jan-14 11:24:16

Which ending?! grin In the park or the bits after? There seemed to be a lot of 'tying up loose ends' as there there were a few paragraphs she missed out from some of the alternative storylines and just tagged them on.

I just finished. It was enjoyable, an interesting concept but also infuriating.

mscnile Sat 11-Jan-14 11:22:41

Just finished it and have started rereading it straight away as I think I missed a lot first time round.

cremolafoam Sat 11-Jan-14 11:19:38

Just finished it. I really loved it but do feel ambivalent about the ending.
Can anyone link to the other threads please

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 07-Jan-14 18:35:05

Thanks, scamp, I'll persevere!

scampadoodle Tue 07-Jan-14 17:12:36

Thanks, hackmum. I'll try to find it.

hackmum Tue 07-Jan-14 17:05:05

There have been two or three threads, I think, including one longish one that discussed the ending.

I see she's just won the Whitbread Novel prize.

scampadoodle Tue 07-Jan-14 15:13:47

Stick with it, AEM as I found the 1920s onwards incredibly haunting. It's rather heartrending in places though so be warned.

insomnia I really want to discuss the ending but it would obviously involve spoilers!

insomniarules Tue 07-Jan-14 14:53:32

Loved it. Re reading now.
Brilliant.
Love all of her books except Human Croquet.
Would love to join a thread about this!

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 07-Jan-14 14:50:35

This is the first of her's I've read. I am just getting into the 1920s and it has picked up a bit but I am still constantly thinking that I will tuen the page and be back in 1910 again. I am glad you say this stops. I will persevere.

I agree with a lot of what you say about contemporary fiction. There is a lot of drivel out there.

scampadoodle Tue 07-Jan-14 14:42:39

I found the first bit, when it keeps going back to the beginning every few pages, a bit tedious but once it gets into the 1920s it really sucks you in. I thought the war sections were phenomenal.

I am usually exceedingly hmm regarding contemporary fiction - so much of it is self-indulgent, under-edited emperor's new clothes IMO - but I couldn't put this down after the first 100 pages.

I loved her first book but thought the Jackson Brodie series got ridiculous by the end (didn't finish Started Early...)

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 07-Jan-14 14:34:45

Still plodding through it. Considering giving up and I'm not even 30% through it. Does it get better?

scampadoodle Tue 07-Jan-14 14:30:42

Need to discuss the ending...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now