Barbara Kingsolver

(19 Posts)
Molivan Tue 07-Jan-14 12:31:48

I have The Poisonwood Bible and Flight Behaviour waiting to be read. Any suggestions as to which way round I should read them. I know they're not a series, just wondered if one was more accessible/better than the other.

stargirl1701 Tue 07-Jan-14 12:36:03

The Poisonwood Bible is better.

Molivan Tue 07-Jan-14 12:52:24

Thanks stargirl Now does that mean I read it first, and be slightly disappointed with Flight Behaviour, or read Flight Behaviour first in anticipation of even better to come? I may well be overthinking this smile

stargirl1701 Tue 07-Jan-14 12:53:23

Lol! The Poisonwood Bible is stunningly good! I didn't enjoy The Lacuna at all.

Belize Tue 07-Jan-14 12:55:18

They are both very good, I love Barbara Kingsolver.

I would go for Flight Behaviour first and then you can really savour The Poisonwood Bible as agree with stargirl it is the better book.

ps you are not overthinking, well only if I am! I stare at my bookcase for ages pondering over what to read next, I sort of stick to a vague theme for a while and can't go complete off-piste and read something totally different or it just feels all wrong!

Belize Tue 07-Jan-14 12:55:53

I didn't like The Lacuna either, gave it away about 100 pages in.

I did like Pigs in Heaven though.

stargirl1701 Tue 07-Jan-14 12:59:47

I made it to the end but it took me at least 10 attempts. I understand what she was trying to do but the story had no heart to it.

Prodigal Summer was excellent!

MysterySpots Tue 07-Jan-14 13:02:09

I liked The Lacuna the best, but it took a long time to get into it! I am really interested in Frida Kahlo though, so that might be why. Have also read The Poisonwood Bible and am reading Flight Behaviour at the moment. I honestly don't think the order really matters but I can see that The Poisonwood Bible might be a better story with better character development. Heartbreaking though...

Racal7 Tue 07-Jan-14 13:12:18

I haven't read Flight Behaviour but the Poisonwood Bible is one of the best books I have ever read! Enjoy it!

iwantavuvezela Tue 07-Jan-14 13:15:52

loved Poisonwood Bible ......

Molivan Tue 07-Jan-14 13:16:15

Thanks everyone - particularly Belize I'm glad it's not just me that does this.

Belize Tue 07-Jan-14 16:59:58

smile

It took me a while to get into all 3 of them - the Lacuna took longest, but in the end I'd find it hard to say one of them was the best. I think I actually enjoyed the Lacuna most as I had no idea at all where & how it was going to go.

I love the Turtle ones!

She writes some amazing characters smile

somewherewest Tue 07-Jan-14 19:21:29

The Poisonwood Bible is decent enough, although according to someone I know who actually was a Baptist missionary in the Congo in that period that aspect of the story isn't remotely realistic.

BaileyWhite Thu 09-Jan-14 16:07:49

The Prodigal Summer is amazing.

Have any of you read her non fiction- 'Animal, Mineral, vegetable' and 'States Of Wonder'. I have all her books of essays and they are so eclectic reflecting her science and botany/geology background and loves, her earlier life in Arizona and migration to Virginia.

BouncingJellyfish Thu 09-Jan-14 16:19:15

The Poisonwood Bible is one of the best books I've ever read. Perhaps I had too high expectations of Flight Behaviour when I read it for MN Bookclub last year. I didn't like it that much.

BaileyWhite Thu 09-Jan-14 16:32:50

i wasn't as keen on Flight Behaviour although an indifferent book by Kingsolver is still streets ahead of the game for most novelists.

Imagine the research that goes into her books.

highlandcoo Thu 09-Jan-14 17:12:56

I loved The Prodigal Summer; the characters and relationships were much better developed than in Flight Behaviour IMO.

Haven't read The Poisonwood Bible for ages - it might be time to revisit it.

Bailey will look out for her non-fiction which I think my sister would really enjoy. Thanks for the tip smile

Belize Thu 09-Jan-14 17:46:37

Oooh I think I have The Prodigal Summer on my shelf - look forward to reading that.

Yes the research for Flight Behaviour must have been phenomenal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now