The Rosie Project Anyone?

(28 Posts)
MrsBennetsEldest Sun 05-Jan-14 20:43:41

I really enjoyed it, loved Don and felt the Aspergers aspect of Dons character was well written. It made me laugh and made me think. What did you think?

theshooglypeg Sun 05-Jan-14 20:44:54

I loved it, I thought it was a really unusual book but so well written. I was sad when it ended. The author doesn't seem to have written anything else which is a shame, I'd like to read more of his work.

MrsBennetsEldest Sun 05-Jan-14 20:48:40

This is his debut novel. He has sold the film rights to Sony and he is writing the screenplay. I hope to see more from him in the future too.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 06-Jan-14 04:05:30

Read it last year. Was lots of talk about it on Goodreads - word spreading fast. I loved it - very funny and clever. Hope the author writes more. Would love to see the characters crop up in his next book too - was sorry to get to the end.

I'm just about to start!! (Hello Duchess!)

DuchessofMalfi Tue 07-Jan-14 19:44:27

Hello Anonymous grin See you over on Goodreads!

I'm around a third of the way through it. It's very readable and I am enjoying it.

My overwhelming impression, slightly to my disappointment, though is that I can't help thinking it's been set up for making into a film, right from the outset, so doesn't quite feel like a fully fledged book to me, more like a film script. Which is a shame because it's taking the edge off. And that's not me being snooty about "books are great, films are crap" or anything. It just loses some of its fluency as a result. Possibly.

But, all that said, I've laughed out loud several times and am regularly chuckling to myself and re-reading some of his extraordinary and quirky Don-isms. So frankly, I should just shut up and get on with reading it!

snakeandpygmy Thu 09-Jan-14 07:01:36

I really enjoyed it BUT I did think it was a bit predictable

I saw the author on a tv promotional interview.
He's an Australian of about 50 ish. Wrote it a a screenplay first then adapted it as a novel. I ordered it there and then from Amazon and it's on my to read pile.

BasketzatDawn Wed 15-Jan-14 19:36:57

I'm reading it at present, and enjoying it. I have various aspies in my life (ds4, officially, DH probably, also ds3 possibly) so I do recognise a lot of the events in the story. It is funny and makes me laugh with recognition. It does seem quite predictable but it's a good read IMO.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 28-May-14 21:42:53

I loved it. When I opened it my heart sank slightly as I thought it would be another "Curious Incident" clone, but it wasn't at all - much funnier, surprising and just original and great. Will recommend it to my book club.

hltuite Mon 07-Jul-14 22:08:08

There is a follow on from the The Rosie Project to be released in September called The Rosie Effect think it's to do with how Don copes with married life.

BaconAndAvocado Mon 07-Jul-14 22:20:18

Loved it!

Approached it with some trepidation as DS1 has AS but it didn't upset or anger me.

It was tender, funny and extremely good-hearted.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 09-Jul-14 19:47:07

Loved it and so looking forward to the sequel smile

BaconAndAvocado Thu 10-Jul-14 12:38:23

A sequel?!?!

Yippeeee! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 10-Jul-14 13:20:12

smile at bacon.

5madthings Thu 10-Jul-14 13:23:45

I liked it but I thought it was very cliched, and the way he makes all the changes for rosie rather too easily was irritating. Don was like a caricature of someone with aspergers and that was annoying.

It us a nice read though.

BaconAndAvocado Thu 10-Jul-14 22:25:47

What can I say Jilted ? I'm easily pleased smile

Southeastdweller Tue 16-Sep-14 21:39:30

I agree it was predictable and some of the characters felt caricatured but my main problem is what Anonymous also thought - the cinematic feel didn't feel right here. I also had a strong dislike to Rosie, which I don't think you were supposed to, not all the way to the end of the book, anyway.

It's going to the charity shop this weekend.

Sootgremlin Sat 20-Sep-14 16:53:11

Agree with the criticisms here, but it was light and funny and overall I liked it. It had its heart in the right place I think.

SkaterGrrrrl Wed 24-Sep-14 20:24:22

Would disagree with the caricature charge. I work with people with learning disabilities and I thought Dan was pretty accurate.

Sootgremlin Wed 24-Sep-14 23:42:34

Yes, Don actually felt the most real to me of all the characters, it was the others that seemed a bit two dimensional in comparison.

I thought the distinction made between being able to feel empathy and love and being able to express it in a conventional way was important.

The funny thing I thought was actually in making the changes for Rosie Don was being thoroughly himself, as hit was just another project for him to plan and follow through!

Purplerunner Sun 28-Sep-14 09:11:35

I really enjoyed this book (made a nice wee change from my usual crime/thriller books). Have just downloaded the sequel The Rosie Effect.

dementedma Sun 28-Sep-14 09:14:10

I really liked it. Made me laugh out loud at times and loved Don.

joanofarchitrave Sun 28-Sep-14 09:16:59

We all enjoyed it in our book club but it did feel a bit like a series of set pieces, but hey it was funny. We all thought Don's cooking approach was ideal for everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now