enthralling books that draw you in from page 1

(38 Posts)
bananacarnival Wed 01-Jan-14 18:08:10

Is what I'm after please!

Having a very difficult time emotionally and I find that one way to help me through is getting stuck into a good book.

The trouble is I'm not very patient so the book has to 1.capture my interest from pg 1 and 2. Be easy to read, but not chick lit.

I usually go to the library, pick up a load of books that appeal, take them home, and most end up being returned unread.

These are the kinds of books I've enjoyed : Gone girl, The Help, most Tess Gerritson books, the husband's secret was ok but difficult to get into - almost put it down so many characters ! The kite runner. The Gargoyle is my all time favourite .

Books I've had recommended but couldn't sustain the interest for: The Rotters Club, Captain Correli..., Engelby...My name is Red...can't think of anymore !

If anyone can make some suggestions as to a book you think I might enjoy , please recommend !

It'll help keep me sane.

Happy new year.

woowoo22 Wed 01-Jan-14 20:16:38

Most of the Richard and Judy book club books are like this, all the ones I've read anyway. The Age of Miracles and Sisterland were both vg pageturners as you needed to keep going to see what happens.

I do the same with library books sad

MerlinFromCamelot Wed 01-Jan-14 21:47:45

Tideline ... Penny Hancock is one that drew me in from page one but it is a marmite book. Some love it others hate it....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0857206281/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1388612783&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

missmargot Wed 01-Jan-14 21:51:23

Kiss Me First? I was intrigued just reading the back cover so was drawn in before I'd even read the first page.

scarlettsmummy2 Wed 01-Jan-14 21:56:15

I started reading 'the casual vacancy ' by J K Rowling a couple of days ago and can't put it down! Easy read but really enjoyable.

bananacarnival Wed 01-Jan-14 22:32:02

Thanks so much everyone. I'm jotting down all the titles...

joanofarchitrave Wed 01-Jan-14 22:35:29

Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd.

Ellisisland Wed 01-Jan-14 22:37:18

The Silent Wife is pretty good but the best reads I have had lately are not short books but I found them really engaging and read them both in two days

Goldfinch - Donna Tartt. Hated her last one but this is fab

Signature of all Things - Elizabeth Gilbert.

strawberrie Mexico Wed 01-Jan-14 22:38:22

Trust your eyes by Linwood Barclay. It's about a reclusive guy who spends all his time trawling google earth, and then appears to stumble upon an image of a murder taking place. It's the most original thriller I've read in ages.

BonesAndSkully Wed 01-Jan-14 22:39:37

if you like a bit of suspense "the one you love" by paul pilkington kept me gripped.

BonesAndSkully Wed 01-Jan-14 22:39:59

oh and The Bubble Gum Thief by Jeff Miller

MaeveBehave Wed 01-Jan-14 22:42:06

I read that linwood barclay one too Strawberrie, it was very good alright. I like him, he's like harlan coban but better, and less sexist. i've just finished a jane casey which I really enjoyed. I've read them all now, all good. Possibly the first two and the most recent one the best.

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (but not her later ones)
Anything by Jonathan Tropper

The 101 year old man who climbed out of a window

Must remember other titles I'm reading here.

elQuintoConyo Wed 01-Jan-14 22:43:36

Anything by William Boyd, quite frankly: Brazaville Beach, The Blue Afternoon.
Margaret Atwood, particularly Oryx and Crake, followed by After the Flood.
Kate Atkinson - I could read her books around the clock.

I have a young dc and haven't read anything for years, can you tell? hmm

MaeveBehave Wed 01-Jan-14 22:44:36

oh, the girl in times square by paullina simons. loved that one

Bonesandskully, which is the first in that trilogy?

strawberrie Mexico Wed 01-Jan-14 22:44:54

I don't know Jane Casey or Jonathan trooper, thanks for the suggestion maeve!

MaeveBehave Wed 01-Jan-14 22:47:32

If you like a good female crime novel then the missing and the burning very good. I also like that swedish female writer, camilla lackberg.

HarderToKidnap Wed 01-Jan-14 22:48:59

State of wonder by ann patchett. Also bel canto by her. Both well written page turners!

Theonlyoneiknow Wed 01-Jan-14 22:59:46

Off the top of my head, recent reads I couldn't put down

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson
Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton
The Little House by Philipa Gregory
Cuckoo by Julia Crouch

And a few others but they are chick lit!

ElleBellyBeeblebrox Italy Wed 01-Jan-14 23:08:34

A thousand splendid suns had me hooked from the start, I loved it. I haven't read kite runner yet so don't know how it compares.

bananacarnival Wed 01-Jan-14 23:56:27

I'm so excited! I'm supposed to be depressed but this thread has set me off on a mission.

Thankyou all...

Earthymama Thu 02-Jan-14 00:02:57

If you like Fantasy I have just read ColdMagic by Kate Elliott , first part of a trilogy and I was shockangrysad when I realised I was at the end.

I love Kate Atkinson,
Andrew Taylor,
Phil Rickman,
Elizabeth George,
Sara Paretsky,
Sue Grafton,
Nicola Upson,
Jacqueline Winspear.

Comfort reads if I am stressed or down
Jane Austen
Terry Pratchett
Georgette Heyer

And if you promise NEVER to tell
Nora Roberts and J D Robb!

Belize Thu 02-Jan-14 00:10:09

I've just started The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - loved The Secret History too.

The Quincunx is excellent - Charles Palliser.

The Book Thief Markus Zusak.

Will think of more x

MaeveBehave Thu 02-Jan-14 18:24:41

Bought elizabeth haynes human remains today. Ive read the other two and they were good. I looked out for the 'one you lost/love/trust' earlier but i couldnt remember who had written them.

Kasterborous England Thu 02-Jan-14 21:23:11

Someone up thread mentioned a Linwood Barclay one, all of his are good. The Sue Grafton 'alphabet' ones are good too, maybe not quite gripping from the first two pages but are very easy to get into and are quite 'easy' reading. There are currently 22 of them so if you like them there are plenty!

MaeveBehave Thu 02-Jan-14 21:47:52

I see there are two new linwood barclays out since 'trust your eyes'. I will buy them but not til they are in tesco. They are still big paperbacks. Not hardback but a BIG paper back. I hate that. I refuse to buy those stupid enormous books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now