I can't quite manage 50 books in a year but would like to aim for 12.

(40 Posts)
Beechview Tue 31-Dec-13 12:03:52

Would anyone else like to join this challenge?

AnneWentworth Thu 09-Jan-14 18:07:59

You can still join the thread. I am going for 25 and lots did less last year. There aren't really any rules the name just stuck.

feckawwf Thu 09-Jan-14 18:22:51

hobnob-I really enjoyed the Husbands secret, is that the kind of book you normally go for? If so then you'd probably enjoy the one I just mentioned Reconstructing Amelia. Have you read Gone girl?

I'm a bit undecided about The Husbands secret. I read it in two days ( off work poorly sad ) and I did enjoy it but I was not wowed by it. But yes it is my style of book.
I have downloaded Gone Girl but yet to start.
Thanks for the ideas smile

I really liked The Husband's Secret (just realised I said Promise earlier) but then I tend to like 'lighter' reading as I'm studying so anything too in depth I tend to lose interest in atm.

I've finished Eternally North. It was um...ok. Totally and utterly unbelievable but a bit funny and therefore enjoyable. That and Frisky Business make it 2 down, 10 to go. Next on my list is The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier. It was recommended to me by a friend for the quilting references. I'm not convinced it'll be my sort of thing so recommendations for some nice easy going books to have alongside it would be good!

And here I am to eat my words. I have now finished The Last Runaway because I couldn't put it down. Started it at 4pm and finished it at 10pm. Absolutely loved the ending.

However I am now without a book!

feckawwf Tue 14-Jan-14 16:08:15

Wow Crafty that was quick reading! Think you're on the wrong thread you need the 50 books a year thread wink I'll add that to my list!

I've just started book 2, I was browsing the sale at Asda and picked up Game by Anders de la motte.Was
a bargain! I'm not sure what to make of it although only about 60 pages in, would make a fab film. A guy finds a phone, which flashes up with a text saying "would you like to play a game" long story short he gets paid for carrying out various tasks, which become more sinister and dangerous as the story goes on. It's actually a trilogy so hopefully I'll start getting into it soon.

I'll be slowing down now, my next OU module started today! And in typical fashion, Dd2 has come down with a vomiting bug <sigh>

I've bought The Things We Never Said by Susan Elliot Wright for my next read. I just keep browsing Amazon and seeing what other people have bought that have bought the books I've enjoyed and buying something that's reasonably priced.

Word of warning about The Last Runaway, there's a fair bit of quilting padding out the main story. I enjoyed that because I'm into quilting but I expect some people might find it a bit annoying.

iwantavuvezela Tue 14-Jan-14 16:32:43

Finished Prodigal summer, a lovely read, and a good way to get started. Will browse tonight for my next read. I like to give a day or two between books so I can think/reflect on the story!

AphraBehn Wed 22-Jan-14 00:14:03

I'm doing OU and a maths course this year but want to find time to read rather than mindless internet browsing. Have already read Longbourn this year, the servants' story from Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed it, it didn't take too many liberties with the established P&P characters and I liked the way some of Austen's minor details were woven into the plot.

Would like to read Rebecca next.

isleangel Tue 28-Jan-14 14:44:18

I have just finished 'The Night Circus' as my 1st book, and I loved every word of it! I am now going onto Prep by Curtis Sittenfield.

Corriewatcher Tue 28-Jan-14 18:43:11

Just finished "The Luminaries" as my first book of the New Year, just in time for my book club meeting. Think it will be a bit of a marmite book. A couple of friends have already said they gave up towards the beginning of the book. I didn't enjoy the beginning either, but part of the way through, I "got it" and thoroughly enjoyed it. Over 800 pages long, though!

Now reading the 4th book in the Game of Thrones series in readiness for when the next series starts.

Beechview Wed 12-Feb-14 10:00:13

I've just finished my first book! It was quite a thick one.
It was this one ;
www.goodreads.com/book/show/65948.From_the_Corner_of_His_Eye

I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for next....

feckawwf Mon 17-Feb-14 23:27:23

Book 3 started-Divergent by Veronica Roth....similar theme to hunger games, it's due to become a film soon so thought I'd start the trilogy now before I watch it. Didnt rate Game at all, that was also a trilogy I won't be bothering with the other two!

isleangel Tue 25-Feb-14 17:39:01

I've just finished Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld as my 2nd. Readable but thoroughly depressing if I'm honest. Just about a girl moaning her way through boarding school. It was advertised as the next Secret History, but I don't know what the reviewers were reading.

Next up is Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway - really looking forward to this one. Feckawwf let us have a review of Divergent when you finish as it looks quite good too and I might be tempted to add to the list I want to read.

AphraBehn Tue 25-Feb-14 18:37:21

I've read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson this month. I enjoyed it but got a bit lost in the middle. This is where I prefer real books to kindle, I wanted to flip back and forth to see the connections between the different strands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now