Gone Girl, hate everyone

(76 Posts)
sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 22:47:23

So I've just started Gone Girl, thought it'd be a fun nice easy read and I've heard it raved about but tbh I'm a few chapters in and I hate all the characters and find it pretty irritating, is it worth carrying on with??

mumtosome61 Wed 08-Jan-14 08:47:36

I have up two chapters in. I couldn't get into it at all.

Crowler Wed 08-Jan-14 08:58:13

I loved the Amazing Amy sub-plot with the parents, I found that very amusing.

mirandabee Wed 08-Jan-14 18:58:58

I'm another one that didn't like it. I remember hearing that someone had claimed that the chapters with Nick were actually written by a guy and not GF. Can't remember who said that...

missorinoco Wed 08-Jan-14 19:07:04

It gets better, has a reasonable twist, but crashes and burns at the end. A very annoying finish.

Ditch it now and save yourself the pain.

TheDoctrineOf2014 Wed 08-Jan-14 19:12:55

Rosamund Pike is pretty close to my mental Amy picture!

BranchingOut Thu 09-Jan-14 12:55:21

I thought that Amy was supposed to be a bit plainer, but I guess that is Hollywood for you!

Southeastdweller Thu 09-Jan-14 16:34:31

Yes, I too thought Amy would be a bit plainer than R.P...I got the feeling Amy thought she was God's Gift to men.

SiouxieSioux Fri 10-Jan-14 21:22:10

Also disliked the characters. Moral of the story don't believe the hype

KurriKurri Sat 11-Jan-14 20:33:55

Haven't read all the responses (in case there were spoilers) but I've just started it and am finding it very irritating so far and badly written, characters vile. Have heard it raved about so much I wasted 99p on a Kindle Daily Deal. Not sure if I can bear to continue with it (in which case I shall read others opinions because I won't care about the spoilers! grin )

MrsDavidBowie Sat 11-Jan-14 20:37:19

I have read it but forgotten already how it ended.Couldn't tell you the names of the characters either.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Jan-14 08:20:00

Kurri - There is a reason why the first part is written like that. (Can't say what - spoiler) It changes later on.

KurriKurri Sun 12-Jan-14 09:55:17

Is it worth pressing on then Cote? I will give it more of a chance if so - thanks smile

DuchessofMalfi Sun 12-Jan-14 10:14:42

Definitely a marmite book, but I'd agree with Cote here - worth reading on. I liked it - very twisted and bitter story. Good ending, I thought - perhaps not the one you'd expect. Keep going.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Jan-14 10:26:19

I thought it was pretty OK, which is saying something because I don't get along with books written by women in general. It gets quite dark and twisted, as others said, and I thought the ending was fitting, too.

Yes, push through. When you get to the "real" bits, you can then decide if you want to give up on it or not.

riverboat Sun 12-Jan-14 17:28:02

I intensly disliked nearly all of the characters, and thought the ending really stretched belief even by the book's own internal logic of twistedness! But I still enjoyed it overall, I love a good plot twist and this one was pretty decent. That said, if I'd known there was GOING to be a plot twist I'd probably have seen it coming, but as I went into it blind I was pleasantly surprised. I don't read a lot of thriller / suspense type books, so it made a nice change.

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Jan-14 19:41:18

Personally, I don't have to like the characters in a book. They are actors in a story, not real people I will invite into my home and be friends with.

Imho, the ending did not "stretch belief" at all. What she did was totally consistent with her character and what he did was also totally consistent with his character. It was not a classic/cliché ending (struggling not to give spoilers here) which I think is why many people didn't like it.

RosaParksIsBack Sun 12-Jan-14 19:49:24

I really enjoyed it so bought dark places and strap objects too, I think they were called. Loved both of them, quite dark which I like

RosaParksIsBack Sun 12-Jan-14 19:49:55

Strap?! Sharp

riverboat Sun 12-Jan-14 20:37:10

Hee, I am now thinking about dark places and strap objects wink

CoteDAzur Sun 12-Jan-14 20:39:27

Me, too. Dirty Great minds think alike wink

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 23-Jan-14 15:04:00

I thought it was ok. Not a great work of literature by any means but not dithering shit either.

It passed the time.

Didn't like any of the characters either. Which is refreshing in a novel.

bunnybing Thu 23-Jan-14 16:28:07

I enjoyed it - warmed to Nick despite his faults. It's worth persevering - honest.

Someone mentioned the Snow Child up thread - now that may be a well-written book, but it is very dull imo.

I can safely say I fell into the "Hate it" group, same with Apple Tree Yard. It was awful but I still say the most hideously overrated books of all time are the "50 Shades" series - Awful, awful books

Naicecuppatea Mon 03-Feb-14 16:12:56

I didn't like it at all, although I did finish it. Badly written and unlikeable, unidentifiable characters.

Scarletohello Mon 03-Feb-14 16:13:55

I enjoyed it. Thought it was intruiging and original. Was curious to see how it ended

Bit of a minority view on MN tho...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now