Gone Girl, hate everyone

(76 Posts)
sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 22:47:23

So I've just started Gone Girl, thought it'd be a fun nice easy read and I've heard it raved about but tbh I'm a few chapters in and I hate all the characters and find it pretty irritating, is it worth carrying on with??

DoItTooBabyJesus Tue 24-Dec-13 22:51:01

It's very irritating and badly written. But I persevered and thought it was ok in the end.

It definitely gets better, but you need to get past the first bit!

Audilover Tue 24-Dec-13 22:52:08

I persevered and then wondered why I had and I hated the ending.

CalamitouslyWrong Tue 24-Dec-13 22:52:47

The end is dreadful.

JingleBrains Tue 24-Dec-13 22:54:10

I think it's worth persevering. Disagree the end is dreadful, it's just a bit....ummmm..... not very satisfying I suppose!

sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 22:54:17

Grr, I don 't know if I have time to persevere when there's so many other books I want to read!

Why didn't anyone tell me before I downloaded it!

Give up while you still can OP. It's absolutely bloody awful and gets worse as it progresses.

The last third is laughable.

Yama Tue 24-Dec-13 22:55:36

I thought it was truly awful. I didn't persevere past the first third or so and I'm glad I didn't.

Read something good instead.

lougle Tue 24-Dec-13 22:55:38

Yes, I found that I didn't have any pull towards any of the characters - quite fascinating to be able to create characters like that.

paneer Tue 24-Dec-13 22:56:41

of is crap. felt cheated because I could have read something else. most overrated book ever.

CalamitouslyWrong Tue 24-Dec-13 22:57:45

It's not just that the end is unsatisfying but also that it's so improbable. Unfortunately I can't explain further without spoilers, but I just came away thinking 'there is no way anyone would live like that'.

I thought it was astonishingly badly written. Gave up v early on.

bisjo Tue 24-Dec-13 22:59:31

I thought it was one of the most irritating books I had ever read and couldn't see what all the hype was about.

If you want a very well written book with a good story then I highly recommend The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, which is one of the loveliest books I have read.

sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 23:11:59

I'm just annoyed now that I've wasted money downloading a book that's crap when I've just read a couple of brilliant ones and there's tonnes I know I want to read, grumpy

sooperdooper Tue 24-Dec-13 23:15:10

I've heard of the Snow Child, maybe I'll try that instead, thank you

I just absolutely loved the vanishing of esme Lennox and instructions for a Heateave both by Maggie O'Farrell - I wish I'd gone for another of hers

FerrisBueller1972 Tue 24-Dec-13 23:17:49

I found it so hard to get into. I did eventually get interested about half way through and then the ending pissed me off. Best seller? My arsehole.

bisjo Tue 24-Dec-13 23:21:34

The hand that first held mine is a good read too although sad.

Funniest book I've read this year is Love, Nina.

DuchessofMalfi Wed 25-Dec-13 08:36:39

Gone Girl falls definitely into two groups - those who loved it and those who really loathed it. No-one has said it was an ok read grin I really liked it, thought it quirky. Loved the bitter twisted relationship at the heart of it. Yes it was totally improbable, and no-one would want to live like that, but it's a novel!

You do have to get through the first part, and then it really takes off. And I liked the ending - it was not the one I was expecting, and that's what I thought made it a good read.

It isn't great literature, but I thought it a rattling good read. Definitely a marmite book. I would stick with it sooper, you may yet enjoy it.

And The Snow Child - lovely novel - you won't regret reading that one, although I did think the ending a little unsatisfactory - open for alternative interpretation.

CoteDAzur Wed 25-Dec-13 10:56:50

The first chapters are irritating but it might help you to know that they are written that way for a reason. Can't say more without spoilers.

CoteDAzur Wed 25-Dec-13 10:58:47

It's not my favourite book by far but I didn't think the ending was improbable at all. It was an interesting ending.

OvO Wed 25-Dec-13 11:03:47

I really liked it. Hated all the characters too. fgrin Which was interesting. I haven't read a book before where I disliked everyone but still enjoyed the story.

valiumredhead Wed 25-Dec-13 21:53:01

The ending was its only redeeming feature tbh.

Can't understand why it was such a hit when her other book, Dark Places (?) was so much better.

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Wed 25-Dec-13 21:55:59

Hated it. Cliched shock-value rubbish, IMO.

Scarletohello Wed 25-Dec-13 21:59:06

Well I enjoyed it. Has some interesting twists and turns. Actually bought 2 copies for Xmas presents!

AnyFuckerForAMincePie Wed 25-Dec-13 21:59:59

This is why I never buy fiction books as gifts fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now