Books that you've have felt gutted to finish as they were so good

(76 Posts)
sparklysilversequins Mon 23-Dec-13 18:48:19

You wanted them to carry on forever and you almost can't be bothered to read anything else because it won't be as good?

The last one I read was "The Help", I thought it was just brilliant. Another was "I Capture the castle".

I am reading Dr Sleep at the moment and quite enjoying it, I will read until the end anyway.

But what books have you adored?

Suzietastic Thu 20-Mar-14 21:21:56

The Millennium Trilogy & Apple Tree Yard

mom2010 Tue 04-Mar-14 10:59:07

thorn birds by colleen mccollough.

Cheboludo Mon 03-Mar-14 17:58:08

Like so many others: Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell. I really hope the TV adaptation does it justice.
The Crimson Petal and the White and Fingersmith. All three have wonderfully realised characters and gripping plots. Although, looking at my list, I should probably give Dickens another chance as all three have been described as Dickensian. (I read the first third of Great Expectations at the age of 14 and hated it so much I've refused to try him again.)

Pride and Prejudice. Every time I read it, I miss the characters and the world of Netherfield and Longbourn so much that I find myself desperately looking for books about it and I've even resorted to reading a couple of the sequels (very bad idea).

ggirl Mon 03-Mar-14 16:26:11

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson

my all time favourite book

MadamBatShit Mon 03-Mar-14 16:21:51

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Cried.

Loved that book, and then it's based on a true story and it is so sad! snif

wiltingfast Mon 03-Mar-14 13:43:54

Yeah, just bought and am now reading Marking Time mumslife!

mumslife Mon 03-Mar-14 12:33:07

wiltingfast

Once you have read the first cazalet book nothing will stop you from reading the rest!

mumslife Mon 03-Mar-14 12:32:00

def the cazalets and the bookthief loved loved loved this book

fromparistoberlin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:43:57

Cutting for Stone
all Kate Atkinson, bloody love her

LeonardoAcropolis Fri 28-Feb-14 16:19:57

Another one for The Stand grin I was very unreasonably furious with my DM who gave up with it. Couldn't get into it, apparently. I have the mini series on DVD too.

I have just finished a collection of ghost stories written by women, I didnt want that tk end, either.

Suzannewithaplan Fri 28-Feb-14 16:10:11

I read the poisonwood bible, was really enjoying it and then I got to the end and it started to annoy me so much that I stopped reading it. confused

Recently read Alex Garland the coma and was engaged throughout the whole book.
I really struggle to find fiction that I can truly get into so I shall be watching these threads for inspiration!

wiltingfast Wed 26-Feb-14 08:39:39

Emily of New Moon

Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier
The Stand
GoT
The Secret History
The Girl with a Pearl Earring
Feersum Endjinn by Iain M Banks
Possession by ? Byatt

Currently reading the first of the cazalet chronicles which is vvg. Not sure I want to read another huge series though, I've only recently emerged blinking from GoT!

nettlefairy Tue 25-Feb-14 08:13:57

Great list - going to get busy on amazon later!! I'm going to add Layla by Nina de La Mer - just finished it and .... Wow.

DrNick Thu 09-Jan-14 20:42:07

god thsoe twats on I capture the castle annoyed me

get a job fgs

SaltyGoodness Wed 08-Jan-14 18:56:48

So many recs for Me Before You, I should give it another try.

Books that I never wanted to finish:

The Secret History - Donna Tartt
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss (loved book 2 even more, can't wait for book 3!)

PortofinoRevisited Tue 07-Jan-14 21:13:58

I cried on the bus at One Day. I know a lot of MNetters don't like it but I think it was a contemporary age thing and it really resonated with me.

demi43 Tue 07-Jan-14 21:06:58

One Day by David Nicholls (I think) was brilliant, read it a couple of summers ago & remember not wanting it to end. Currently reading Philomena by Martin Sixsmith which I'm really enjoying & deliberately taking my time over-hard to believe that this happened to thousands of women & babies & so recently.

minsmum Tue 07-Jan-14 21:01:50

Wolf Hall & Bring up the bodies
River of London the Ben Aaronovitch books very good

AppleSnow Tue 07-Jan-14 20:56:00

The Wall of the Plague - Andre Brink - the end made me go and read the whole book again

PortofinoRevisited Tue 07-Jan-14 20:51:45

Wolf Hall
The Thornbirds blush
Oh loads really. I get totally immersed in a good tale.

stickysausages Tue 07-Jan-14 20:49:47

I'm halfway through The Snow Child, going to read the other half tonight & be gutted to finish it! Expecting tears!!

PoopPoooDeDooo Tue 07-Jan-14 20:49:40

Diane Chamberlain: 'The lost daughter' and 'the kiss river trilogy' and 'the midwifes confession' fab fab fab absolutely love her (also like Jojo Moyes so suggest those who have read me before you try the above!) Actually Jojo Moyes 'Last letter to my lover' is really good too smile

Chopsypie Tue 07-Jan-14 20:34:59

The night circus is the most recent.
The song of Achilles
The book thief (although don't think I could of read it much longer, I cried almost constantly!)

Those are my most recent, great thread though I've got some great ideas !

CoteDAzur Tue 07-Jan-14 20:30:00

This Thing Of Darkness
Cloud Atlas
Measuring The World
The Strangest Man

somewherewest Tue 07-Jan-14 19:25:19

Wolf Hall
Gilead
Atonement (only Ian McEwan book I like)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now