Books that you've have felt gutted to finish as they were so good

(76 Posts)
sparklysilversequins Mon 23-Dec-13 18:48:19

You wanted them to carry on forever and you almost can't be bothered to read anything else because it won't be as good?

The last one I read was "The Help", I thought it was just brilliant. Another was "I Capture the castle".

I am reading Dr Sleep at the moment and quite enjoying it, I will read until the end anyway.

But what books have you adored?

MrsMcEnroe Thu 26-Dec-13 19:14:02

On Green Dolphin Street by Sebastian Faulks. Reduces me to awed silence whenever I think about it!

HankyScore Thu 26-Dec-13 19:17:58

The Name of The Wind and its sequel. He's writing a third but it isn't finished yet.

I'm halfway through A Dance With Dragons for the second time, I'll be bereft again when that's finished.

Meow75 Thu 26-Dec-13 19:24:10

And the mountains echoed by Khaled Hossaini, and the one before that, A thousand splendid suns.

Absolutely loved both, so so well written!!

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Thu 26-Dec-13 19:40:28

The Forsyte Saga (yes, all of them!)
Bleak House
Wolf Hall & Bring Up The Bodies (will queue at midnight for the last in the series)
The Poisonwood Bible
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
The Crimson Petal and the White

Anyone who can look at that list and recommend something similar will receive a bunch of my finest thanks

highlandcoo Thu 26-Dec-13 20:40:30

Somewhere try The Observations by Jane Harris - I think you'll like it

Hadleighleftie Thu 26-Dec-13 21:22:40

The God of Small Things Arundati Roy
small Island Andrea Levy
My Father and Other Working Class Heroes, Gary Imlach
How I escaped My Certain Fate Stewart Lee
Each part of Tales of the City Armistead Maupin
How I won the Yellow Jumper Ned Boulting

ArgyMargy Thu 26-Dec-13 21:27:01

Yes, definitely Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - wonderfully creative.

Will this thread put people off reading these books?!

LongWayRound Thu 26-Dec-13 21:35:14

I've just finished the 6th book in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series, and there are another 14 (15 if you include the last, unfinished one) to go. I love the way the characters become more complex, and each novel builds on the previous ones.

I loved Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell and re-read it soon after finished the first reading.

SydneyB Thu 26-Dec-13 21:47:20

Life After Life by Kate Atkinson

MrsLatcher Thu 26-Dec-13 21:59:36

I just read all 6 of The Cazalet Chronicles by Elizabeth Jane Howard, sheer bliss and so well written. Highly recommend.

MacaYoniandCheese Thu 26-Dec-13 22:06:04

I just read "My Notorious Life" by Kate Manning and 'Longbourn' by Jo Baker.

'I Capture the Castle' is one of my favourite books in the world ever smile.

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Thu 26-Dec-13 22:14:14

Thanks Highland! Will try.
I got a copy of The Illumiinaries as an Xmas pressie - looks as though it might be my kind of book too ...

SomewhereBeyondTheSea Thu 26-Dec-13 22:16:32

*Luminaries. Iphone typing ...

stickysausages Thu 26-Dec-13 22:21:41

Will have a think tomorrow, but yes... Water for elephants was wow, me before you a pleasant surprise, trash was an amazing book, pictured a movie in my mind, life of pi... Urm... I read so much but tend to dump then out ny brain & move on... Book slut!

maillotjaune Thu 26-Dec-13 22:26:07

The Luminaries is a great read - I didn't want that to end even after 800+ pages.

Wolf Hall
This Thing of Darkness

EssentialCoffee Thu 26-Dec-13 22:31:11

Marking my place for some new ideas!

I agree with The Poisonwood Bible, The Help and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series - loved these books.

I really enjoyed the Shardlake series by CJ Sansom.

I'd also add The Collector by John Fowles - chilling.

CaptainTripps Thu 26-Dec-13 22:58:26

The Stand. I almost cried when I was nearing the end. I never wanted it to end.

Now I am feeling similarly about 11.22.63 (see my pther thread about your book of the year).

CheerfulYank Thu 26-Dec-13 23:03:57

Coulda guessed that by your user name, CaptainTripps. wink Totally agree. Even now all I have to do is think "Goodbye, East Texas. It's been pretty goddamn good to know you," and I well up.

I loved I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb as well.

OneHolyCow Thu 02-Jan-14 11:53:32

I've just finishes The Woman Upstairs by Claire Messud and I'm a mess.
Perfect. I'm gutted. Can not read another book for days now so might as well clean the house or something.

MrsMaryCooper Sun 05-Jan-14 14:44:40

Have his Carcass - Dorothy L Sayers
Game of Thrones - George RR Martin

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 05-Jan-14 15:43:33

11.22.63 is amazing Captain just finished reading it for the 3rd time! I see from your other thread you're new to the King - would recommend IT and The Dead Zone if you haven't read already - on a par with The Stand and 11.22.63 I think.

I agree re Water for Elephants it was great. Lots of my favourites have been mentioned already. I'm going to read some of these recommendations in 2014.

DoctorTwoTurtleDoves Sun 05-Jan-14 15:54:04

Wrath Of Angels by John Connolly, the sequel to The Black Angel.

DontHaveAtv Mon 06-Jan-14 10:59:49

The Stand by Stephen King. M.O.O.N spells I love that book. smile

Crowler Mon 06-Jan-14 19:45:43

I loved I Capture the Castle and I was so sad to finish it. FYI OP I later read The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets (not a serious work of fiction, by the way) and my MIL and I, without even discussing it with each other, each were reminded of ICTC. You might like it.

Crowler Mon 06-Jan-14 19:46:30

Oh, and Life After Life. I loved this book so much I was depressed when I finished it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now