if i like Stephen King and Neil Gaiman what ther authors will i like

(23 Posts)
jellyjem Sun 15-Dec-13 22:21:12

I have run out of books to read on my Kindle and feeling a bit lost what else to read. I have read most of Dean Koontz and got a bit bored. Love most early Stephen King (The Stand is my favourite) and I have just finished American Gods by Gaiman which I loved. Does anyone have any recomendations

MegBusset Sun 15-Dec-13 22:23:09

Stone Junction by Jim Dodge
Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
Clive Barker? I loved Weaveworld as a teenager (haven't read it in 20 years though)
House Of Leaves - Mark Z Danielewski

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 15-Dec-13 22:25:57

Have you read any more recent Stephen Kings? 11.22.63 is really good although very long and drawn out (which I like). Also Doctor Sleep just came out which is the sequel to The Shining.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 15-Dec-13 22:27:29

Also second Good Omens and maybe Philip Pullman if you like Gaiman? I'm not a fan personally but loads of people rave about the His Dark Materials trilogy.

MegBusset Sun 15-Dec-13 22:27:57

I am reading the Dark Tower series at the moment but you may have already read it? The Talisman (King and Peter STraub) is an awesome book too.

How about The Chronicles Of Thomes Covenant by Stephen Donaldson?

jellyjem Sun 15-Dec-13 22:33:24

Thank you, checking reviews on Amazon now. I have read Good Omens and liked it, quite like some of the Terry Pratchet books but need to be in a lighter mood for his stuff.

I have read everything by Clive Barker years ago. Don't really rate the new King books.

Foosyerdoos Sun 15-Dec-13 22:38:24

I would recommend Peter Straub.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 15-Dec-13 22:59:24

A lot of SK's new books aren't great but the two I mean mentioned above really do show a return to form. Definitely recommend them (unless you've already read them and don't rate them obviously!).

CoteDAzur Sun 15-Dec-13 23:02:28

Dr Sleep starts out slow and clichéd but gets pretty good later on.

Duma Key is one of SK's recent books and it's very good.

I think you would like Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.

EBearhug Sun 15-Dec-13 23:02:38

Good Omens is one of my favourite books ever.

I have seen Philip Pullman and Neil Gaiman in conversation - they get on well, and it was a good evening, so I think the Dark Materials is definitely worth a try. I enjoyed them anyway (and I was in Oxford yesterday, so it is on my mind.)

Have you read more Neil Gaiman than American Gods? There's also Anansi Boys, Neverwhere, Coraline and so on.

EBearhug Sun 15-Dec-13 23:03:41

Also, which Pratchetts have you read? I think his later Discworld books are darker and more serious than the early ones. There's still a lot of humour (but then there is in Gaiman, too), but they're more philosophical, I'd say.

ravenAK Sun 15-Dec-13 23:05:29

Poppy Z Brite, maybe?

Phil Rickman

xmaspudnpies Sun 15-Dec-13 23:09:22

I've started The Passage by Justin Cronin - so far so good.

Have you read Neverwhere?

QueenofallIsee Mon 16-Dec-13 12:50:20

Martin Millar - the man is a God and Neil Gaiman is his biggest fan. The Good Fairies of New York, the Lonely Werewolf Girl series and Suzy, Led Zepplin and Me are all wonderful

Martin Millar is great fun - I love, 'Lux the Poet' and, 'The Good Fairies of New York' especially.

You'd probably like Terry Pratchett - his Sam Vines ones are the best imho.

I enjoyed, 'The Passage; and, 'The Twelve' too.

King's Dark Tower series is a must read, especially since you liked, 'The Stand.'

LordEmsworth Mon 16-Dec-13 20:51:07

I have just read The Heart Shaped Box, by Joe Hill - Stephen King's son - and really enjoyed it

MegBusset Mon 16-Dec-13 20:55:02

How about Angela Carter? I love Nights At The Circus, The Bloody Chamber and Wise Children.

I've heard people rave about Jonathan Strange & Mister Norrell although I tried it and couldn't get into it.

MegBusset Mon 16-Dec-13 20:55:39

yy to The Good Fairies Of New York, love that book

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Mon 16-Dec-13 21:11:26

I've read a fair few SK but prefer James Herbert, think his books have more of a story rather than the scare factor.

Homebird11 Mon 16-Dec-13 21:18:33

Charles stross? Or kevin hearn, if you like fantasy too.

jellyjem Mon 16-Dec-13 21:44:38

Thanks everyone, lots of suggestions for me to try.

I have read everything I could get my hands on that Neil Gaiman has written, loved most of it especially Anansi Boys and The Graveyard Book.

I have only read the early Discworld books (years ago) and got a bit bored of them but will try some of the newer ones, any suggestions which ones to start with?

Out of Stephen Kings new books I have read Duma Key and 11.22.63, I thought they were both okay but didn't really grip me like his old stories. Not tried Doctor Sleep yet but I will when the price comes down a bit as I love The Shinning. I am going to give The Dark Tower books a try, don't know how I missed those as they sound like my kind of thing,

I have also brought The Good Fairies of New York on my Kindle, only read a few pages but so far its really good.

Caitlin17 Sun 29-Dec-13 03:00:43

It sounds twee and it is out of print but Sylvia Townsend Warner's The Kingdom of Elfin (but not anything else)

Also George MacDonald , Phantastes and Lillith. 19th century Scotttish writer, hugely influential.

Caitlin17 Sun 29-Dec-13 03:02:49

My favourite Angela Carter is Heroes and Villains which is dystopian fantasy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now