the Goldfinch by Donna Tartt **Spoiler alert**

(20 Posts)
CallOfTheRiled Fri 13-Dec-13 09:09:16

I was wondering if anyone has read the 'Goldfinch ' by Donna Tartt ? It's been voted into the NY Times top ten, and is Amazon's best book of the year. My friend is an avid reader and we usually buy each other a book we might not otherwise read for Christmas. If not, any other suggestions? Thanks.

hackmum Fri 13-Dec-13 09:17:49

I thought it was wonderful. A completely engrossing and thought-provoking read.

Hassled Fri 13-Dec-13 09:20:28

hackmum - that's reassuring to know. I have it sat looking at me across the room - I adore Donna Tartt (I'm one of the few people in the world apparently who even loved The Little Friend) but for some reason am a bit daunted by The Goldfinch. I'm rereading old dross to avoid it.

TheDoctrineOfSanta Fri 13-Dec-13 09:25:27

Ooh will have to get this!

I hope santa's got me it - it's the only thing I've specifically asked for.

DoctorDonnaNoble Fri 13-Dec-13 09:31:11

I put off getting it on my kindle yesterday (going in for op today) I shall do so now.
I fully intend to teach A Secret History to my A level students at some point.

Hassled Fri 13-Dec-13 09:34:04

DoctorDonna - my 15 year old DS has just finished The Secret History, and it prompted a couple of great discussions, especially around Richard. I think it would be amazing to do at A Level.

CallOfTheRiled Fri 13-Dec-13 13:34:15

Thank you. I wondered if it would be too much like hard work, but I'm going to go for it.

PepeLePew Sat 14-Dec-13 17:19:35

It's not remotely hard work. It is far less overtly "clever" than The Secret History but, I think, a better book (and I say that as someone who loved TSH).

valiumredhead Sat 14-Dec-13 23:32:48

I couldn't stand the secret history, in fact I've given up and not finished it. So disappointing after reading so many good reviews.

sprout44 Sat 11-Jan-14 19:20:11

What did you think of the ending? thought it was a great book but felt it ended so quickly I would have liked if he got together with Pippa.

BOFtastic Wed 15-Jan-14 16:03:26

Utterly fantastic- the best novel I can remember reading in a long time. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. I've posted a link to this review on the 50 Book Challenge, but I think it deserves a mention on this thread. It sums up my thoughts on it better than I could.

Hullygully Thu 16-Jan-14 11:11:33

fabbo

Caitlin17 Thu 16-Jan-14 23:31:09

Oh dear. It got a terrible review from Julie Myerson such is usually a recommendation but in this case Julie was right. I disliked it immensely. Far too long, screamed out for editing.

Belize Thu 16-Jan-14 23:36:15

I absolutely loved it, fantastic book. So many topics and places covered, was quite giddy reading it and miss it like mad now sad.

sprout44 not meaning to be critical but that's a massive spoiler that you've put in your post, maybe ask to amend that bit?

TSH one of my favourite books ever.

BOFtastic Fri 17-Jan-14 22:26:12

I thought the length was perfect- we just aren't used to Victorian-style long novels any more. I honestly don't think a word was wasted.

I agree that many books by successful novelists are in desperate need of an editor- JK Rowling certainly springs to mind, but this work is in a totally different class.

It strikes me too that fewer critics say this about male writers who are seen as 'serious', like Jonathan Franzen- their lengthiness is regarded as indicative of their work's philosophical depth and scope. I really think that this novel is in the tradition of the great commentaries on the human condition, the American Dream, the Dickensian bildungsroman, etc etc. It isn't simply about plot and pace, because that would make it just a rattling good read. This is a great novel, part of an important literary tradition, and evidence that this kind of novel can still be relevant to post-modern readers. Suck on that, Jeffrey Eugenides, with your crappy misogynistic The Marriage Plot grin...

I have to say too, that the day I take Julie Myerson's opinion seriously will be a cold one in hell grin.

SingingBear Fri 17-Jan-14 22:32:29

sprout44 yes, are you able to get your spoiler post amended? I came to look at the thread to see if I might want to read the book.

hackmum Sat 18-Jan-14 13:03:46

BOFtastic: "I really think that this novel is in the tradition of the great commentaries on the human condition, the American Dream, the Dickensian bildungsroman, etc etc. "

Agreed. It's in a different class from most of the novels I read.

Bubblegoose Sun 19-Jan-14 05:19:46

Amazing book. Tartt is a breathtaking writer.

Timpetill Sun 19-Jan-14 05:53:05

BOF, you've encouraged me to get off bleedin' MN and pick up the book! I've been enjoying it so much I've been putting off reading it too much because I'll be sorry when it ends blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now