Can anyone recommend some psychological thrillers?

(35 Posts)
TeamJavert Sat 07-Dec-13 16:23:49

The spookier the better. A good horror or crime novel would be welcome also.

I don't like excessive gore,but do love to be scared.I've recently enjoyed Rebecca,The Playdate,and Before I Go To Sleep,and would love to read some other psychological thrillers.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

TIA

oopsadaisyme Sat 07-Dec-13 16:33:50

Clive Barker 'Weaveworld' - It maybe entering more into the 'Horror, fantasy' realm, but think it also works as a psychological thriller!? It's years old now but omg, just read xx

nothruroad Sat 07-Dec-13 16:44:40

The Magpies by Mark Edwards is a great psychological thriller.

Have you read Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes?

For crime I really like Val McDermid - A place of execution is excellent.

LeBearPolar Sat 07-Dec-13 16:51:21

Val McDermid can be very gory, so be careful!

Odd as it seems, Stephen King writes some very good psychological thrillers. The Dead Zone is excellent, as is The Dark Half. Misery is a classic, of course. Mind you, I'm guessing that you've already done the Stephen King route if you like horror!

Have a look at Sophie Hannah: no gore but heavy on the psychological aspect.

Have you tried Nicci French - not that sophisticated but an easy read. I also like Linwood Barclay.

Patricia Highsmith (author of The Talented Mr. Ripley) has written some great novels in this genre.

LeBearPolar Sat 07-Dec-13 16:53:35

Oh and Ruth Rendell's standalone stuff (not the Inspector Wexford series) and the books she writes as Barbara Vine are good.

James Herbert did some good none gory horror thrillers. The magic cottage is still a favorite.

And definitely the magpies, it was really good.

ThursdayLast Sat 07-Dec-13 19:27:27

I second Sophie Hannah.

valiumredhead Sat 07-Dec-13 22:59:32

Barbara Vine definitely!

I loved The Magpies too.

Elizabeth Hayes' books are great.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 07-Dec-13 23:06:56

this is very good

Linwood Barclay books are quite good.

HoHolepew Sat 07-Dec-13 23:15:13

Linwood Barclay and Gerg Hurwitz both are very good at these type of books.

hedgehogy Sun 08-Dec-13 06:54:36

I like Sophie Hannah and Linwood Barclay.

bimblebee Mon 09-Dec-13 13:50:15

Some of Sophie Hannah's are better than others, but I have love most of Barbara Vine's novels.
Would also highly recommend as perhaps not 'thriller/horror/crime' but very psychological...
Black is the Colour by Helen Howe
Spider by Patrick McGrath
The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly

valiumredhead Mon 09-Dec-13 16:30:24

A fatal inversion is a great read.

DuchessofMalfi Mon 09-Dec-13 18:07:04

Blacklands by Belinda Bauer is very good, as are the subsequent two in the series, Dark Side and Finders Keepers.

TheBunsOfPanettone Mon 09-Dec-13 18:42:54

Another vote for Barbara Vine.

Try Therese Raquin. Utterly horrible, atmospheric and compelling to the last page, one of the best thrillers I've ever read.

However, there is an instance of animal cruelty that I took (relatively) in my stride while a hard-hearted youngster reading it for the first time but I've never read it again because I know it's there and I would find it very distressing indeed these days.

TheBunsOfPanettone Mon 09-Dec-13 18:44:42

Oh, and A Place of Execution which was suggested earlier is brilliant and it's not as gory of some of Val McDermid's.

Have you read Perfume by Patrick Suskind?

Imwoodword Mon 09-Dec-13 18:46:20

Marking place to read properly later!

OneHolyCow Tue 10-Dec-13 16:13:05

Tana French has some really good ones. Set in Ireland, Dublin murder squad series. She's got 4, the last one was very very good. You don't have to read them in order I don't think. Into the wood and Broken Harbour were my favorites, the other 2 are alright but a bit more meh.

WhenSarahAndStuckUpTheChimney Thu 12-Dec-13 21:44:57

How To Be A Good Wife by Emma Chapman was a good psychological story, as is Who Is Sarah Lawson by KJ Rabane.

Nina Todd Has Gone by Lesley Glaister might also fit the bill for you.

Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty might cover both psychological and crime and I thought it was very good.

Alys, Always by Harriet Lane was good and reminded me a little of Notes on a Scandal, it was that type of quiet but slightly edgy book.

As for horror, I quite liked Colony by FG Cottam, which was creepy but I don't think there was much gore in it. I've enjoyed all of his books and they have an old fashioned ghost story feel to them all rather than a modern slasher-blood theme.

I read a Kindle short called A Sincere Warning About The Entity In Your House by Jason Arnopp and that was creepy rather than gory.

And have you tried anything by Adam Nevill? I quite liked Ritual and am reading his latest book House of Small Shadows now. Nothing too gory as yet, it's about a woman who goes to value some antique dolls, puppets and taxidermy in a creepy old house. There is a chance that things are going to turn gory by the end but not so far. It's just weird and creepy.

Sneezecakesmum Sat 14-Dec-13 20:23:58

A dark adapted eye by Barbara vine. Pseudonym of Ruth Rendell so a very classy psychological thriller. Her Barbara vine novels are more psychological in nature.

Sneezecakesmum Sat 14-Dec-13 20:33:34

Anything by Minette Walters, scolds bridle, the ice house.

Consistently readable and a real page turner.

Patricia Highsmith. Classic psychological thrillers. The Talented mr Ripley sucks you into a sideways world where the wrong path is taken. She also wrote the classic Strangers on a Train. What more can you say!

Foosyerdoos Sun 15-Dec-13 22:43:58

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, this really good.

tinsletits Sun 15-Dec-13 22:50:19

Anything by Dean Koontz he is an awesome author, a bit of a mix of horror, thriller, similar to stephen king.

NotAnotherStuffedTurkey Sun 15-Dec-13 22:54:22

Another vote for Barbara Vine.
Have you tried any Åsa Larsson? I've found her books very tense, but a little gory however I'm a bit of a wuss

CoteDAzur Tue 17-Dec-13 08:48:49

I'm reading Tana French's Into The Woods now and it's not going well for me. The writing style is flowery, pretentious, and bizarrely feminine, considering that the narrator is a man.

Does it get better? I'm about 10% in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now