The Passage/The Twelve by Justin Cronin

(14 Posts)
mmack Wed 04-Dec-13 20:55:43

Someone on a thread months ago recommended The Passage by Justin Cronin. I don't usually read sci-fi/fantasy type books (except Sookie Stackhouse) but I thought I'd give it a chance and I'm glad I did because I loved it. I read The Twelve straight afterwards. Does anyone have a recommendation for something similar?

Have a look at Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. Been a while since I read it but it's a fantastic horror/sci fi story about "psychic vampires" and popped into my head when I was reading The Passage. Also a great doorstop of a book like Justin Cronin's so good for getting properly stuck into!

I think Justin Cronin has written another one due to be published in 2014.

This series had similarities, although it's a bit more action genre than The Passage.

bestsellers.about.com/od/horror/gr/strain.htm

mmack Wed 04-Dec-13 22:39:36

Thanks guys. I just looked at both of these on amazon and they look really good. I had never heard of Dan Simmons before Hyperion looks interesting too. The Passage does have a third part due out next year. I'm looking forward to it. I hate unfinished plot lines so I have to know what happened to April.

I liked Hyperion. Rachel's story has stayed with me, even years after reading it.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 05-Dec-13 08:26:02

Have you read The Stand by Stephen King?

Deffo The Stand. Also maybe the 'Feed' series by Mira Grant - zombies in blogger land. Not v well written but great fun!

mmack Thu 05-Dec-13 18:46:18

I haven't read The Stand but it came up a few times on the '5 books you should read' thread so it must be really good. I usually alternate crime fiction and literary fiction. The Passage was totally new territory for me.

WhenSarahAndStuckUpTheChimney Thu 12-Dec-13 20:45:30

I've enjoyed Wool and Shift by Hugh Howey, I'm waiting for Dust to come out in paperback.

They are about a large group of survivors living in an underground Silo following a nuclear attack, the Silo is effectively a small city underground.

I second The Stand, it's a very good book.

PepeLePew Sat 14-Dec-13 17:18:16

The Stand - one of the best books I've ever read, and I'm not a Stephen King fan normally. Made The Passage look like a poor imitation (though I did quite enjoy it).

BaaHumbug Sat 14-Dec-13 17:24:26

Do you have a Kindle WhenSarah? The Kindle price of Dust has come down from the hardback price already, I just bought it today and can't wait to get started on it.

Heartbrokenmum73 Sun 15-Dec-13 13:12:27

YY to The Stand.

I'm a total Stephen King nut, but would highly recommend The Stand even if I wasn't because it's just an amazing book. Fantastic story, characters you really love/hate/are freaked out by, brilliant writing.

My copy is falling apart, I've read it that many times.

WhenSarahAndStuckUpTheChimney Sun 15-Dec-13 16:22:53

I do have a Kindle but I have Wool and Shift in paperback so want to keep the format the same, if I can resist that long grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now