Can anyone recommend any good, but less well known, dystopian fiction?

(10 Posts)
Londonista85 Fri 29-Nov-13 22:51:27

So stuff like The Chrysalids, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, 1984, The Handmaids Tail...

But that hasn't received the recognition you think it deserves.

ReluctantCamper Fri 29-Nov-13 23:18:06

The Gate to women's country by Sherri Tepper
Loved it when I was teenager and enjoyed a food doom and gloom type story

LittleMymble Sat 30-Nov-13 05:47:22

I liked 'The City and The City' by China Mieville.

JeanSeberg Sat 30-Nov-13 05:52:58

Zamyatkin - We

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - prob too well known for you, but it is good.

CoteDAzur Sat 30-Nov-13 21:16:17

V For Vendetta - Alan Moore (Comic book story of a totalitarian near-future)

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline (Dystopia is not the focus of the book, but it is the background - you slowly get to understand what sort of place the world has become)

Delirium - Lauren Oliver (YA and so not my cup of tea but others rave about it)

Wool - Hugh Howey (Recent sensation and soon to be a major film/series, apparently. Has loads of fans. Not the best sci-fi I've ever read by far, but I'm not easy to please on that front)

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan (Crime fiction in a dystopian future where personalities are downloaded into various bodies. Gripping and interesting in detail, if quite gritty and violent in parts. If you like it, there are several sequels.)

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell (5th of the book's 6 stories called 'An Orison of Somni-452' is a brilliant dystopian story. You can read it as a standalone novella.)

mum2jakie Sat 30-Nov-13 21:23:30

If you're willing to consider a YA novel, 'Witch Crag' by Kate Cann is a really good and little known dystopian read.

OneHolyCow Sun 01-Dec-13 14:48:10

In the country of last things by Paul Auster. One of his earlier, and best in my opinion, works.

Takver Sun 01-Dec-13 14:59:24

I'd recommend Native Tongue and sequel The Judas Rose by Suzette Haden Elgin - not sure why they're not better known, definitely interesting and thought provoking

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 01-Dec-13 15:43:36

Again, if you're willing to read YA - try Feed by M.T.Anderson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now