Robin Hobb

(6 Posts)

I'm about 60 pages into 'Assassin's Apprentice' and I'm finding it a bit dull. Is is worth persevering? I feel like I should like it - I've just finished the 'Song of Ice and Fire' books and I love historical and fantasy novels but I'm just not feeling it sad

Mogz Wed 20-Nov-13 14:08:57

Even though she's a fantasty writer I would not compare her books to George R R Martin's.
I do adore most of her series but they're a lot less complex and I could see how they would seem dull and slow after making your way through such a rich series as ASoIaF.
Do try to keep going as the character development is wonderful and the plots have some great twists.
Just try to view them as a bit of light reading to give your brain a break grin

ghostonthecanvas Wed 20-Nov-13 14:14:49

I agree with mogz. The character development is good but RH's books are 'lighter'. Give the book a bit longer, if you don't get into it, there are so many others to try. Terry brooks shannara series is good.

Mogz Wed 20-Nov-13 14:23:44

If you're after something a bit more complex for your next read have you picked up Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series? Just mind the swearing.

I did think it might be ASoIaF spoiling it for me! Those books have consumed me for the last 3 months!
I'll keep going for a while yet, and make a note of the other recommendations for later on.
If I do get into the Assassins Apprentice it should keep me going a while, am I right in thinking there are 9 books?

ghostonthecanvas Wed 20-Nov-13 16:47:43

Yes. And they do get better. I have just flicked through mine to remind me what they are about. By the time she writes Tawny man they are really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now