Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

I have just finished my first book

(8 Posts)

this year!

I had twins last September and have had no energy or time to read. I love reading and can't go to sleep unless I have read even a few pages. I have just finished The Slap and I finally feel like I have a bit of my old pre-children life back!

Am on a roll and going to buy a myself a big pile of new books for Christmas.

Just wanted to share smile

DuchessofMalfi Wed 20-Nov-13 13:35:29

Well done smile It took me ages to get back into reading after the DC were born. DS was 2 before I found the time to sit down and read, without falling asleep! Now I'm on a roll, and have read 100 books this year (paper, e-book and audio book) - makes a huge difference having both in school - so much reading time.

Ha ha. My DTS are 2 and I tidied my 'to read' pile back onto the shelves at the weekend as it was depressing me too much!

I went through a phase of reading the most brain dead chick lit on my Kindle as well as it involved no mental engagement whatsoever and just a clicky thumb!

I need to watch less crap on TV, spend less time on mumsnet and facebook,and use reading as my pre-bed wind down I think.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Wed 20-Nov-13 14:55:52

Well done! I didn't read when my DTs were tiny, only TAMBA publications for much-needed advice!

Enjoy your pile of books - what are you going to buy?

Glad to know it isn't just me dutchess smile. Twelve I couldn't even manage chick lit initially so well done you!

Middle, I am going to get Snow Child, And the Mountains Echoed and Little Coffee shop of Kabul are on my list so far. Any recommendations?

taffleee Wed 20-Nov-13 17:49:14

Lol, I love this thread - I've just finished reading 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' - It's taken me forever as my dd2 has been forever on the go recently and have had trouble getting him to bed unless he snuggles in bed with me first - by that time I'm wiped!!!

But, btw, you have to read this book! I love my 'Fantasy' Books (and if your after a brilliant series of those, read Terry Goodkind 'Wizard's first rule series) - But this book got me, fabulous x

taffleee have just read review for Unlikely Pilgrimage and have added it to my list. Thanks smile

taffleee Wed 20-Nov-13 20:15:28

never you have to read - I was bought it as a present, not the type of book I would usually buy, but picked it up one day and just loved everything about it - normal bloke, got a letter, started walking - but was such a beautiful read, and very british lol, a must read x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now