Looking for books on American Pilgrims and early settlers history

(14 Posts)
LittleBairn Thu 21-Nov-13 22:44:54

hmm I've just realised that it makes it sound like i want non fiction, when I actually what fiction too more so than non fiction.

I will look out Tracey Chevalier book I've liked her writing before so likely enjoy it.

HmmAnOxfordComma Thu 21-Nov-13 21:42:33

Sorry, just read that you actually did ask for non-fiction in the OP, not both.

HmmAnOxfordComma Thu 21-Nov-13 21:41:38

I've just read The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier which is a bit lightweight (and I don't know how accurate but seemed well researched); about some of the early Quaker towns which were settled in Ohio in the 1850s and there's quite a lot about the runaway slaves from the South - but mostly detail on the towns and how they were settled. I know not the earliest settlers, but that part of the country was only being freshly colonised, iyswim. Worth a look?

Louise1956 Tue 19-Nov-13 17:23:08

puritans at Play, Leisure and Recreation in Colonial New England, by Bruce C. Daniels, is a very interesting book.

Everyday Life in Colonial America by Dale Taylor is another very good book, full of interesting information.

LittleBairn Tue 19-Nov-13 08:20:21

lowlevel I've read the 19th wife it was very interesting, such hardship.

sassy thanks I will look out those books, I've been meaning to give Phillippa Gregory a go for a while now.

sassytheFIRST Mon 18-Nov-13 20:43:27

Earthly joys is one of the Tradescant books.

sassytheFIRST Mon 18-Nov-13 20:31:07

Yy to the scarlet letter. Brilliant and chilling.

Also the crucible. (Play, of course, but v readable).

Phillippa Gregory wrote a series of 3 books based in the life of John Tredescant who founded the Bodledian? Museum in Oxford / lots of fascinating stuff about his pioneer life in Virginia.

LowLevelWhinging Mon 18-Nov-13 20:23:28

Not exactly settlers, but The 19th Wife is about the first Mormons and how they played a major part in the colonisation of the west. A really interesting and enjoyable read.

chibi Mon 18-Nov-13 18:25:11

that pack of thieving murderers? yikes

lljkk Mon 18-Nov-13 18:23:00
lljkk Mon 18-Nov-13 18:20:32

I do family history which has made it all come rather alive for me!

LittleBairn Mon 18-Nov-13 18:12:40

I was just eyeing up my copy of The Scarlett Letter on my book shelf. The only other one I could could think of was The Crucible.
But I would love something new too, I k ow the basic historical points but not much beyond that and little of the life of ordinary settlers.

lljkk Mon 18-Nov-13 17:36:17

curious as well
For fiction my first thought was The Scarlet Letter.

LittleBairn Mon 18-Nov-13 17:21:20

Feeling the urge to read something on the first group of Eurpoean settlers to America and their history. I would be interested in Non fiction recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now