Best Georgette Heyer to start with, please?

(16 Posts)
TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 18-Nov-13 14:39:28

I bought the wrong one - can't remember what it was but it was an early one which I got because it was cheap on Kindle and haven't really got into it.

Please could you Heyer lovers tell me the best 2 or 3 to start off with and I'll get them regardless of cost?

Thanks.

MooncupGoddess Mon 18-Nov-13 14:48:03

I'd suggest Frederica, The Unknown Ajax and Sylvester. Venetia, Black Sheep and Arabella are close runners-up, for me anyway.

A Civil Contract is her best in some ways, but unrepresentative, and in some ways designed to deconstruct the romantic themes she uses in the other books... so maybe worth leaving until a little later.

Do report back when you've read a couple as long as you like them

JuanPotatoTwo Mon 18-Nov-13 14:50:33

Oh how strange - I just wrote in another thread that the first one I read of hers was The Reluctant Widow! Which ones did you buy? Bath Tangle is good, so are Sprig Muslin, Arabella, Faro's Daughter. I'm the wrong person to ask I think though because I love them all smile

Lancelottie Mon 18-Nov-13 14:54:12

Cotillion.

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 18-Nov-13 15:00:40

Thank you! <heads off to Amazon>

TunipTheUnconquerable Mon 18-Nov-13 15:07:32

There, I've ordered The Unknown Ajax.
The one I got before was The Black Moth. Fair dos if she wrote it when she was only 15 but to give her a proper chance I need to see her at her best!

PiratePanda Mon 18-Nov-13 15:14:10

I love Venetia; it's my favourite. Unknown Ajax, Faro's Daughter, Sylvester, The Nonesuch. Also have a soft spot for The Masqueraders. But I am apparently unique in not being that much of a fan of These Old Shades.

Just don't try any of the proper historical ones like My Lord John. Bad.

Sarsaparillajones Mon 18-Nov-13 19:51:11

Cotillion and the Grand Sophy -can't believe no one else mentioned that one !

FiveExclamations Mon 18-Nov-13 20:22:03

Can I chuck in a vote for Sylvester as well?

FiveExclamations Mon 18-Nov-13 20:22:40

If I'd read the thread properly I would have spotted that someone already has [retires].

ElephantsAndMiasmas Mon 18-Nov-13 20:24:19

The Grand Sophy!

3littlefrogs Mon 18-Nov-13 20:27:02

The first one I read was "The convenient marriage". I loved them all though. smile

moonblues Mon 18-Nov-13 20:32:49

The first one I read was These Old Shades, which I loved, but I was about 14/15 & I'm not sure if it would be the best one to read first as an adult. They're fab though. Nice to have them all ahead of you. smile

Louise1956 Tue 19-Nov-13 17:26:32

My favourite is The Talisman Ring, which is absolutely hilarious. I also like The Corinthian, The Reluctant Widow, Faro's Daughter, and The Unknown Ajax very much.

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 19-Nov-13 22:02:04

The Convenient Marriage (see nickname grin )
Devil's Cub
Arabella

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 19-Nov-13 22:03:04

Then search this board for GH book club and see what the rest of us thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now