Robin Hobb and similar

(8 Posts)
SkullyAndBones Wed 20-Nov-13 20:21:06

Raymond E Feist - start with Magician.
The counterpoint to that books was co written with Jenny Wurts and its the Daughter/Servant/Mistress of the empire series.

Mercedes Lackey
Katherine Kerr
Trudi Canavan
David Eddings
David Gemmel - The Druss books.

TBH, i read mainly fantasy fiction and all these authors have held me in Thrall.. Eddings books are probably for younger audiences, but very enjoyable.

I would sit here for hours and rave about Feist though.. his books are amazing, i have read magician over and over and over again!

The Empire books he wrote with Wurts are also very much worth a look in, they're about a young girl striving to survive in a very cut throat and traditionally male world.

Kerrs books are also fascinating and there is a lot of the old celtic/welsh lore involved in some of the weaving through the series.

It may be worth looking into the Wheel of Time books too.. they're very long winded and aren't to some peoples tastes, but i enjoy them, the story is very very intricate and weaves through the entire series, its an investment to read them.

Another author i've recently stumbled on and fallen in love with is a guy called Brent Weeks, he's written a trilogy called "The Night Angel" trilogy and i really cannot recommend it enough, it was fantastic!

PinkFairyArmadillo Tue 19-Nov-13 14:51:49

I love Robin Hobb, the Liveship Trilogy is absolutely superb.

Trudi Canvan is good, the Black Magician Trilogy especially.

I quite like Jude Fisher's Fool's Gold trilogy, it's a bit lighter than my previous suggestions but still an entertaining read.

James Clemens Banned and Banished series is a bit on the cheesier end of the spectrum but I still find it quite entertaining. I also like the Godslayer books for an easy fantasy read but he's never finished the series hmm

Sci-fi wise, the Neanderthal Parallax by Robert J. Sawyer is quite good.

Fairylea Tue 19-Nov-13 14:46:56

Brandon sanderson mistborn trilogy. Dh is an avid fantasy reader and he reckons these are amazing. Won't bloody shut up about them.

I love Robin Hobb - here are some random suggestions.
Garth Nix Sabriel trilogy
Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind is the first one (third book not out yet)
Guy Gavriel Kay - I always recommend him every chance I get smile
Terry Pratchett if you like funny? You could start with "Guards Guards" maybe.
I second the Tad Williams suggestion.
I assume you've read the hunger games trilogy?
On a more sci-fi note, Douglass Adams is funny and easy to read smile
HTH, Enjoy!

NotYoMomma Mon 18-Nov-13 11:19:39

only read the first two sword of truth books if you are going to read those. they get dire after that!

Have you tried Raymond E Fiest or Tad Williams? Also try the Terry Goodkind 'Sword of Truth' series maybe.

Skinheadmermaid Mon 18-Nov-13 00:29:39

*some not sone.

Skinheadmermaid Mon 18-Nov-13 00:29:06

I recently picked up the first book in the farseer trilogy and rather enjoyed it.
I've ordered the next two books in the series.
Can anyone recommend similar fantasy/sci fi writers that are easy to read?

I was turned off 'true' fantasy years ago after reading sone truly dire cliched magic/elf shit.
But after reading the GoT series i am open to trying it again!
I like neil gaiman but can't get into china meiville for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now