Jo Nesbo - should I start with a specific book?

(12 Posts)
PeasandCucumbers Sun 17-Nov-13 20:34:19

Just that really. I have never read any of his books and bought The Snowman in a charity shop yesterday but I am now wondering if there is a specific order I should read his books in.

Thanks

BeCoolFucker Sun 17-Nov-13 20:51:27

I read The Snowman first. It's ok to do this.

I loved it. And then I started with the first Harry Hole book and read them in order. I'm quite envious - if you enjoy Snowman you have lots of excellent reading ahead of you. Enjoy.

BeCoolFucker Sun 17-Nov-13 20:53:05

It won't spoil anything at all to read snowman first. They stand alone well. But if you do decide to read more then it works to start from the beginning.

IamtheZombie Sun 17-Nov-13 20:58:35

Zombie would start at the beginning, especially now that the first two books have been published in the UK. (Well, OK, the 2nd one is released in 11 days.)

The first one is The Bat. There are frequent references to things that occurred in previous books and Zombie got a bit frustrated when there were references to things that happened in the first 2.

lookatmycameltoe Mon 18-Nov-13 08:52:15

I started with The Snowman and agree it's ok to do that, although if you can read them in order then I would.

I love Jo Nesbo. It's my guilty pleasure.

TheLightPassenger Mon 18-Nov-13 09:17:38

Read the redbreast before the devils star and the snowman before phantom.

LauraTrashley Sat 23-Nov-13 20:16:53

I really disliked The Bat. I started reading them at The Redbreast and really got into the series but did wonder why the first two hadn't been released in English. When The Bat finally came out I was so disappointed with it so in a way am pleased I read them in that order because otherwise I would have given up at the first book.

EssentialCoffee Mon 25-Nov-13 20:44:00

I read The Snowman first too and I have read a couple since, I don't think it matters too much if you don't read the books in order.

Catsnotrats Mon 25-Nov-13 20:58:02

I read the snowman first as well and it hasn't spoiled the series for. I have read them in an odd order so I do get a bit mixed up sometimes though!

However My dm saw jo nesbo at a book talk and he strongly recommended starting at the beginning of the series, and this was before the first 3 books had been translated (maybe I should have brushed up on my Norwegian?)

Welshwabbit Tue 26-Nov-13 10:58:54

the 2nd one is released in 11 days

Ooooh, is it?

You've probably already started now, OP. If you read The Snowman first, you will spoil the very first one in the series (The Bat). Having said that, I read The Snowman first and I still thoroughly enjoyed all the others.

WowOoo Tue 26-Nov-13 11:02:39

I liked reading them in order as there are sometimes references to previous cases. Plus you know Mr. Hole's relationship history.

A new one in 11 days? Must find out more!
Hope you enjoy them,Peas. They were gripping reads for me.

coffeeinbed Tue 26-Nov-13 11:04:08

Another one who got sucked in by the Snowman.
It was the best, I think.
that and The Redbreast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now