Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

The House on Fever Street by Celina Grace

(6 Posts)
SarahAndFuck Wed 13-Nov-13 09:37:59

I bought this a while ago on Kindle and it's taken me a while to get around to reading it but I thought it was very good.

Bella and Jake meet in the aftermath of the London 7/7 bombings and quickly fall into an intense relationship. When Jake asks her to move in with him Bella doesn't hesitate but she is soon unsettled by his strange housemates and a secret she feels Jake is hiding from her.

I really got involved with the story, very much wanted to find out what happened and I liked the style of writing. It was a very involving thriller type story and I always prefer them from the POV of an ordinary person rather than a detective etc.

I think I bought this book because of a discussion on here and I'm fairly sure the author is a MNer. If not, I bought this book because of a discussion on Library Thing and I'm fairly sure the author is an LTer so many book groups and so little memory grin

Anyway, if the author is a MNer, good job with this one, I will be reading more smile

Cantdothisagain Wed 13-Nov-13 19:53:07

I read this after reading the author post here too. Enjoyed it although found it quite sad somehow...

SarahAndFuck Wed 13-Nov-13 21:31:49

So it was here, my memory is not quite so shocking after all.

It was sad but I think it had to be, it made it feel a little more true. And I liked the ending because in a way it felt quite hopeful.

CelinaGrace Mon 18-Nov-13 22:33:47

<waves>

Thanks, ladies - glad you enjoyed it. Have to say, quite a surreal experience seeing my name being discussed on the MN Fiction site! A good experience, though smile.

The 2007 bombings haunted me - I wrote a short story about them too - Freedom Fighter (in the Blessing from the Obeah Man short story collection). Thanks for your comments.

CelinaGrace Mon 18-Nov-13 22:35:17

2005, I mean! Sheesh….

SarahAndFuck Tue 19-Nov-13 08:24:52

Oh, hello <waves back>

Yes, I enjoyed it very much, it was 'dark' in all the right ways and had a good thread of suspense building through it.

And as I was reading I was thinking that a relationship started in those intense circumstances was never going to end well, but I never saw the ending coming, which is always good. I hate it when I guess the ending almost as soon as I've started the book.

It must be odd to see your name unexpectedly, but at least you caught us talking about you in a good way smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now