What is it about the Donna Tart novel that is getting everyone so excited?

(8 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Sat 02-Nov-13 21:07:16

On twitter, in the press, my twentysomethings friend came to visit just to pinch Secret History. I loathed Secret History. Am I missing summat?

sooperdooper Sat 02-Nov-13 21:09:28

Dunno, I got bored with her other one, is it called the Little Friend? Anyway, gave up half way through, thought it was dull

LEMisafucker Sat 02-Nov-13 21:10:46

I gave up on Little friend too - it was too all over the place for me. I found it a bit pretentious

Lighthousekeeping Sat 02-Nov-13 21:27:26

The Secret History was so pretentious. I felt abit thick, the way people raved about it.

Swanhilda Sat 02-Nov-13 21:37:40

I still remember bits of both of them though, so they must have been well written.
I liked the way you kept changing your opinion in Secret History. And Little Friend had an amazing scene at the funeral, and in the polluted Water Tower. Otherwise I wouldn't really want to read them again, too intense to revisit.

There was a bit in Secret History where narrator is just so cold in his rented apartment..and is rescued by one of the villains - slightly didn't ring true, why didn't he just buy some more blankets? Oh and the bit with the tulips.

AvonCallingBarksdale Tue 05-Nov-13 18:47:27

I really liked the Secret History, but this is about the third time I've started the Little Friend and not been able to get into it. Partly cos the print is sooooooooo small in my paperback (used to reading on my kobo now, which is much larger blush ). Is it not worth persevering, then?

MistAllChuckingFrighty Tue 05-Nov-13 18:50:26

I can't even remember which one of those books I tried several times to get into, but I found it boring and gave up. Load of ole tosh.

AugustRose Tue 05-Nov-13 18:55:36

I was given a copy of Little Friend by my brother many years ago and didn't enjoy it, I really struggled to get into the story. I do remember that I finished the book but couldn't tell you what it was about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now