How do you pick your books????

(63 Posts)
MrFranklyShankly Fri 01-Nov-13 12:43:57

Hi folks,

Just wondering how some of you pick books, is it by finding ones that are related to a certain theme you like, the front cover! Or recommendations?? I have picked a few by front cover recently as reading the back for a description sometimes can put me off what can be an otherwise good book, so got 'every last one' & 'before I go to sleep' this way and they were really good but then I got a crap one so I've scrapped this method of selection!!!! Recommendations here are always really good....so just curious as to how everyone else picks theirs????

F

MegBusset Sat 02-Nov-13 22:56:37

Ah yes Remus I remember talking about TWJITW on the '50 books' thread smile

I've just finished Maurice Herzog's 'Annapurna' and currently reading 'Into The Wild' by Jon Krakauer (having loved 'Into Thin Air'), all highly recommended, let me know if you have any other suggestions!

eatwotsits Sun 03-Nov-13 07:01:56

I read the blurb, and then read the first few pages. If I like it, I buy it. It doesn't matter who it is written by. Oh, I also tend to avoid free kindle books (unless they are free as some sort of temporary promotion) and 99p books like the PLAGUE. I am an avid, lifelong reader and my kindle ended up totally stuffed with what I can only describe as UNK. Oh yes...I know there are a few decent books at that price out there, but in my woefully terrible experiences, I figure 7 quid is better spent on one halfdecent book than 7 unreadable piles of crap. Goodreads is good for discovering unknown authors and entering competitions, I rfecently won a novel called The Medea Complex which, I believe, has JUST been released on amazon. Its about a mother set in Victorian England, who wake up to find she has been put into an insane asylum. Its freaking awesome!

eatwotsits Sun 03-Nov-13 07:03:10

My other fave book is The Help. LOVE, love, LOVE that book (and the movie was great too!)

VerySmallSqueak Sun 03-Nov-13 11:13:31

Ooooo!! I love mountaineering books too!

All time fave has to be "Touching the void" - I have several Joe Simpson books.All good!

I went to a talk he did years ago - I used to hang in the rock climbing scene a bit (obviously at an entirely different level to him).Never been ice climbing or mountaineering so it holds a real fascination!

I recommend:
"The Death zone" by Matt Dickinson
"Fragile Edge" by Maria Coffey
"Where the mountain casts it's shadows" by Maria Coffey
"The flame of adventure" by Simon Yates
"Soldiers and sherpas" by Brummie Stokes,and
"A Hard days summer" by Alison Hargreaves.

MrFranklyShankly Sun 03-Nov-13 21:06:09

Thanks Remus if and when I resign from my job (just waiting for the lotto numbers to turn up!!!) gonna use the lyrics as my resignation letter ;-)) as it does certainly 'coreode my soul'!!!!! Yeah I agree a lot of modern fiction is awful stuff altogether, when I say this to friends they say I'm a book snob! I'm finding the free sample good on kindle.

Wow loads of great recommendations, might give one of the post apocalyptic/zombie fiction a try although I have it in my head I won't like it, what's a good one to start with??? Wish I had a book club to join but don't know of any

MrFranklyShankly Sun 03-Nov-13 21:07:59

Touching the void and the help I have read and loved both

VerySmallSqueak Sun 03-Nov-13 21:35:54

The 'classic' zombie book to start with has to be World War Z.

Post apocalyptic 'classic' has to be 'The Road' (but be warned - steel yourself!)

Post apocalyptic classic would be, 'The Stand' imho.

I liked, 'Touching the Void' and his other one. Mainly like my mountaineering to be historical though.

MrFranklyShankly Sun 03-Nov-13 21:59:52

Mmmm will check them out, love trying new ones that are completely different to the usual.......

Eatwotsits I was looking on kindle for the Medea complex, got the first few chapters free, and have now purchased it, it has me hooked already! Seems right up my street (not that I like quoting Cheryl cole!!!) I'm off back to it now ;-))

MrFranklyShankly Sun 03-Nov-13 22:04:01

That's a really good link Remus by the way cheers for that :-)

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now