Anyone read Big Brother by Lionel Shriver?

(14 Posts)
MrsDavidBowie Sat 26-Oct-13 08:59:53

I have just started it and am really enjoying it. The brother has just arrived..........

mmack Sat 26-Oct-13 11:20:01

I really liked it too. I like that she lets her female characters be bitchy and over-achieving, but also likeable. I think the husband/wife dynamic was very believable.

Cremolafoam Sat 26-Oct-13 11:23:33

Yes reading it ATM. Not liking it as much as 'so much for all that" but boy is she a terrific writer.
Met her at a book signing and she is q scarygrin

MoleyMick Sat 26-Oct-13 12:14:57

I really liked it too. I enjoy all her books.
Not surprised to hear she is scary in real life though!

MrsDavidBowie Sat 26-Oct-13 12:45:50

I imagine her to be like Tilda swinton.

BabeRuthless Sat 26-Oct-13 17:57:25

It's a really good book. I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for you but be sure to come back when you're done!

Loved it - I like her gutsy writing

MrsDavidBowie Sat 26-Oct-13 19:47:14

I am wanting to punch the husband.

Rollermum Sun 27-Oct-13 03:26:02

Just finished it tonight. I said on another thread I didn't think she understood the reasons people gain or lose weight. Without giving too much away the end changed my mind somewhat.

The way it ends is really interesting and not a plot device I've seen before. Don't want spoil it!

Rollermum Sun 27-Oct-13 03:27:10

The husband is quite punchable but Edison also seemed irritating!

MrsDavidBowie Tue 29-Oct-13 08:37:58

Just finished it...I really enjoyed it.

bibliomania Wed 30-Oct-13 16:26:39

I didn't mind the brother, but I thought the husband was utterly vile.

MrFranklyShankly Fri 01-Nov-13 12:34:41

Mmmm will give this one a read, really like her, loved Kevin & so much for that.....can anyone give me a brief synopsis without giving too much away please and thanks. F

ChipAndSpud Fri 01-Nov-13 20:46:46

I can't wait to read this, hoping someone will buy it for me at Christmas smile

I've read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin', 'So Much For That', 'Double Fault' and 'The Post-Birthday World' - all brilliant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now