Game Of Thrones - worth a read or not?

(25 Posts)
TotallyAddictedToLurking Sun 13-Oct-13 14:43:36

Most people I know LOVE the TV series, DP is nagging me to watch it.

I think I'd rather read than watch something.

Is it any good?

I'm normally a thriller reader and need to be gripped for me to continue reading.

Probably not - they are long and over-written and a bit clunky. A shame, because some of the characters are quite interesting.

Ladytron Sun 13-Oct-13 14:52:03

I think the books are excellent. Obviously a lot more detail and i realised bits that i'd missed on the tv. I couldn't them down and waiting for GRR martin to publish the final instalment.

TotallyAddictedToLurking Sun 13-Oct-13 15:26:18

The reviews say exactly what you have said Ladytron

I'm still torn as I suspect may find them the same as you Remus but I suppose I've got nothing to lose by giving the first one a go.

Heartbrokenmum73 Mon 14-Oct-13 14:12:44

Yes, yes, yes!

The books shit all over the TV show. If you haven't watched the show the definitely read the books. Some of the casting in the show is dreadful, while some is fantastic, but reading the books without having seen the show will mean you're not coloured by it.

And give Robert Jordan a bash too. Not literally...

They are massively long and the plot is quite intricate. If you have read any Tolkien (not the Hobbit) and we're ok with it then give GoT a try.

There is a fair bit of violence and sexual violence, but I would say most of it is in context and is relevant to the plot.

Agree with others that say the books are far superior to the TV show.

oaks56 Mon 14-Oct-13 17:00:30

Amazing books, the tv show is nothing compared to them. They werent my usual style if book either but i was hooked from book 1 xx

TallyGrenshall Mon 14-Oct-13 17:08:38

You may as well read the first one, I wouldn't describe it as gripping or thrilling though I would describe it as total shit.

As with lots of first books, there is a fair amount of scene setting, introduction to the world etc to be done

I read the books and then saw series 1 and 2. Enjoyed both! The TV is a sort of precis'd version of the books.

My DS emotionally blackmailed me into reading the first. It is SO not my bag (read English at Oxford!) but it's strangely gripping in a page turning way. And I rather like how he's played around with different civilisations/place names/myths and legends etc.

Be warned though, they're long, about 600 pages each, and there's 7 of them. Now, after moaning at DS for ages, am even more eager than he is for the next installment (have been tracking down sample chapters on t'interconnect!!)

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 15-Oct-13 15:22:46

GoT is fantastic. It is known.

GoT people, you NEED this:

www.thinkgeek.com/product/f32a/

TotallyAddictedToLurking Tue 15-Oct-13 18:03:05

Right!!! You've convinced me to give it a go!

I just need some time in the day now.

Another YES, even though you have decided to go for it.
The books and series are fantastic. I am half way through A dance with dragons for the second time, not too sure what to do when I finish.

sashh Sat 19-Oct-13 18:04:58

Another yes vote here.

Oh and you don't have to read through pages and pages of theon being tortured - did not get why they put that in the TV series.

fancyanother Sat 19-Oct-13 18:12:05

I watched the TV series and then read the books. i thought most of the characterisations were spot on. (although it does make you realise what a drip Jon Snow is when you don't have Kit Hartington's beautiful eyes to gaze into!) The books are very long. I tend to think they are overly written too. Maybe the TV series has spoilt me for the books though. They are still worth a read because you understand the background a bit better.

fancyanother Sat 19-Oct-13 18:13:48

I've just seen my DH's Christmas present- That hat is great!smile

Heartbrokenmum73 Sat 19-Oct-13 19:44:34

fancyanother weirdly, I don't think Jon Sner is a drip in the books at all! Only in the tv show - face like a smacked arse. Don't get all the fuss over him at all.

But yy to all Theon's torture being left to interpretation in the books. I think the reason it was included so gratuitously in the show was because it was needed to show what an utter bastard Ramsay actually is, whereas in the book we read Theon's thoughts and we just know <shudder>

crumpet Sat 19-Oct-13 19:58:56

Joanna Lumley's interpretation is v good smile

thehiddenpaw Fri 08-Nov-13 20:42:50

Yes yes and yes, I still remember honeymoon in Mexico in 2010 with what must have been third installment and lugging hardback for 3 weeks backpacking till we got to beach part and read and read and read. I think great reading and highly recommend

GatoradeMeBitch Mon 11-Nov-13 17:42:21

Have you all seen this www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ It has finally made me curious to read the books!

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Nov-13 17:45:11

I watched the first two series before reading the books - then I had to start them, because series 3 isn't repeating agin for another month or so.
I find them very gripping - not sure if I would have managed to wade through if i hadn't seen the TV series first. The characters I find tedious on screen are exactly the same in the book.

Cooroo Fri 15-Nov-13 07:33:02

Very enjoyable reads esp first 3. Why do people complain about 'scene setting'? Isn't the pleasure of a book in the whole experience, the character development, the creation of a world? If books were nothing but action I'd prob give up reading!

saintmerryweather Fri 15-Nov-13 07:39:39

if you like robert jordan and jrr tolkien (ie badly overwritten guff) you'll love the books. if on the other hand you start reading and think 'this is shit', give up. it wont get any better!

nooka Fri 15-Nov-13 07:51:49

I really like GoT, or more accurately the Song of Ice and Fire grin. Although I'm concerned that the series will never be finished, and until the last book is written couldn't say whether or not the series is any good (too many fantasy series end very poorly IMO). Much better plotted than Robert Jordan where I gave up after book 7 or so, and lots of great characters which I really don't think you can say of Tolkien, who created a great world, but one dimensional people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now