Any Robert B Parker fans?

(5 Posts)

grin you are right I suppose, it wouldn't stop me reading them as I just love the dry wit.
Not tried Sue Grafton, will check her out next time I'm in the library, thanks.

SunnyRandall Sat 12-Oct-13 13:30:39

It was all the picking at salads and looking ravishing 24/7 with Susan that got my goat. And how every woman Spenser encountered wanted to sleep with him.

But hey I still enjoyed the stories.

Have you read any Sue Grafton? Very good reads and of a similar style I think. Female detective. Highly recommended.

I haven't tried the Sunny Randall ones yet. I hadn't thought of Susan as faux feisty but will look for it now. They are a little old fashioned but unlike anything else I've read.

SunnyRandall Sat 12-Oct-13 13:11:10

I love the Sunny Randall series hence my username!

But I found the casual sexism and fawning female characters in a kind of faux feisty guise too much in the Spenser and Jesse Stone ones. Which is a huge shame as I bloody loved them before I discovered feminism.

I discovered his Spenser novels last year and have been picking them up here and there from the library and second hand book shops.
The dialogue and characters are exquisite. Not huge complicated plots but somehow that really doesn't matter.
Sadly the author is dead and so I was rationing the books carefully.
Today I looked on Amazon and lots of them are on Kindle now for 50p to 60p. Many are very early ones I have come across before.
I am having a Spenser weekend.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now