Hmmm... They've cast Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

(36 Posts)
Thurlow Fri 11-Oct-13 12:04:25

If anyone has read this book or worships it as much as I do

An actor I don't know, Bertie Carvel, as Strange, who from his pictures I can see working. And Eddie Marsan as Norrell, which I'm less sure of - I love Eddie Marsan, he's an amazing actor, but I always pictured Norrell as looking Ian Holm....

Read this ages ago for book group.

IMO it stole valuable time in my life that I could have used for sleeping (DD was a baby at the time).

SoupDragon Fri 18-Oct-13 16:47:57

confused

Heartbrokenmum73 Fri 18-Oct-13 16:51:38

I was jesting!

CoteDAzur Fri 18-Oct-13 19:08:10

Soup - You really should give it another go.

It is very well written and manages to suck the reader into this strange world to the extent that it all feels completely normal and plausible. Cliché as it may be to say it, I really didn't want it to end.

I hope she writes another book about these characters/this world, preferably about the Raven King.

Thurlow Fri 18-Oct-13 20:02:20

I agree, cote - I can understand why some people complain that nothing much happens or it takes a long time to get going, but to me that's the joy of the book - I didn't want it to end and was so entranced by the world she'd created.

Have just started reading it again, my commute has suddenly become too short!

On the 'which fictional character would you do?' lists, JS always comes top 3 for me wink

LEMisafucker Fri 25-Oct-13 20:56:59

They are making a film?? i think it would suit a dramatisation better but either way - oooh i am excited, i LOVED this book loved it

Thurlow Tue 29-Oct-13 14:21:34

Apparently it's going to be 7 episodes (yay!) and some casting has been announced...

Alice Englert as Lady Polie - hmm
Enzo Cilenti as Childermass - a lot younger than I imagined, I think Childermass as supposed to be at least 40, but I can kind of see it
Charlotte Riley as Arabella
Paul Kaye as Vinculus, which I like a lot
Sam West as Lord Pole
Ariyon Bakare as Stephen Black, which also looks like great casting
And the lovely Marc Warren as The Gentleman with the Thistledown Hair

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 29-Oct-13 20:24:39

I think the casting is good. Childermass would work too if they don't let him look too young. When will it be on?

Bigfingers Tue 29-Oct-13 20:34:17

Just seen this thread - excited, but also bit worried - about an adaptation - I LOVED this book. I read it about 7 years ago and reading this thread I realise I have forgotten huge chunks of it.

I remember the magical prose, and I remember feeling absolute dread about finishing the book - you know how some books you look at how thick the wodge of pages is left and want to just be through it, and others you see it diminishing and it makes you want to slow down and savour every page. Well, that.

I think the time is ripe for a re-read.

I gave it to various people as a Christmas pressie and not one person came back to tell me how fabulous it was sad. My mum said she gave up 2/3 of the way through!!! went down in my estimation

Thurlow Tue 29-Oct-13 22:01:18

The casting is great - I get why they've made a lot of characters younger, that's just what they tend to do. But it's quite a well-known cast. I've seen Marc Warren do some pretty odd-ball and random things before and I think he could be fantastic as the Gentleman. Paul Kaye as Vinculus could make it quite funny. He's been really good in GoT.

I was really worried as well, but the casting is so good I think they might actually be throwing some real money at it. No idea when it is on but I'm going to guess this time next year, I think it will be there pre-Xmas 2014 big drama.

Bigfingers Tue 29-Oct-13 22:09:11

meant to say I think Eddie Marsan is a really good choice for Norrell

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now