Alice Monro has won the Nobel Prize for Literature

(16 Posts)
SinisterSal Thu 10-Oct-13 21:31:16

she said in a choked voice 'It's a splendid thing to happen' smile

She is an amazing writer. Such a clean approach to her stories and the emotions in them. She does tiny little seemingly insignificant moments so well.

well deserved.

I agree. Love her writing. First read her short stories years ago.

However, I was surprised to see her photo today - I was sure she was black!

SinisterSal Thu 10-Oct-13 21:51:32

Yes it was years ago for me too. A mere callow youth and I loved her even then. But now - wow, the richness in her writing.

She comes from Scottish stock - her book The View From Castle Rock that came out a few years ago was a kind of family history. i always thought she was of Irish extract, her stories of her rural childhood seemed so familiar to me (I am not in my 80's though)

I came on MN to start this thread myself - very glad you beat me to it.
I am thrilled for Alice Munro, she is a superb writer.

penguinpaperback Fri 11-Oct-13 14:22:22

Ditto MrsCakesPremonition. Lovely to see the thread up. I started reading her books years ago too. I have all of them, would never part with them and will have a quiet Sunday of Alice Munro re-reading. I wonder if there's a few unpublished stories in a drawer somewhere? Or is Dear Life really the end?

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 11-Oct-13 14:46:06

I have never read anything by Alice Munro, but I put her on my to read list based on recommendations on other threads.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good book or collection to start with?

I read Open Secrets quite soon after I started reading her books, and really enjoyed it.

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 11-Oct-13 17:01:35

Thanks, MrsCakes. I just bought it for my kindle. Instant gratification. smile

Now I'm worried that you'll hate it and think less of me [worried].

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 11-Oct-13 18:48:22

MrsCakes, I have already started reading it and I really like it so far. flowers

penguinpaperback Sat 12-Oct-13 00:21:22
thecatfromjapan Sat 12-Oct-13 10:54:51

I used to give friends first editions of her books - I was so sure she'd win this one day!! Finally, I have been proved right.

Seriously, though, she is so amazing. I think I've never looked at life the same way since I first read her. Her writing is awe-inspiringly brilliant, yet feels warm, intimate and like a gift, rather than a venerable monument.

I am so glad she has won this.

FaddyPeony Thu 17-Oct-13 11:07:35

I was so glad to hear about this. IMO she's just about the best living short story writer. Such wisdom and such truth. Can't think of anybody who can beat her.

HmmAnOxfordComma Fri 18-Oct-13 09:31:56

She is my favourite writer, too. I always had a secret hope for a Nobel for her.

I also had a bit of a rereading binge last weekend.

For those who adore her and have read every word she's written, there's an author recommended on here as being quite alike, who is Elizabeth Strout. I bought and read Oliver Kitteridge by her and loved it. Very Munroian!

penguinpaperback Fri 18-Oct-13 21:33:54

Thanks HmmAnOxfordComma, I've never heard of Elizabeth Strout but very Munroian sounds good to me. Will check her out.

HmmAnOxfordComma Fri 18-Oct-13 21:38:33

Should there be an extra 'n' in there?! 'Twas a mn recommendation. Happy to pass it on. I've ordered some other stuff of hers since OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now