number9dream - please come and help me gather my thoughts about it <<SPOILERS> >

(9 Posts)
Rollermum Sun 27-Oct-13 04:06:57

Sorry also meant to say that I can only remember the violent bit and the dream sequence with tea and crockery, so not sure on overall themes. I am likely to read it again.

At the reading he was asked about his main characters popping up as bit parts in his other novels. I love that!

Rollermum Sun 27-Oct-13 04:02:50

David Mitchell is probably my favourite author. I liked Number 9 Dream but I don't think it is as good as his others. Ghost Written is probably the best for me, but all worth a read.

I saw him do a reading from A Thousand Autumns and he came across as a really nice person.

Caitlin17 Sat 26-Oct-13 03:34:18

I love all his books but it's a while since I read Number9 Dream so would have to re read it
Cloud Atlas may well tie with Bleak House as my favourite book.

Oh, interesting.

I really enjoyed The Thousand Autumns too but thought it was quite different, what with the historical setting and the more traditional story telling.

I was going to read Black Swan Green next, but have been hesitating so thanks for giving me the nudge to give it a go.

mrswalker13 Sat 12-Oct-13 19:52:00

I agree with you; I felt like I'd missed something or not got it in the end. Left me cold!

Really loved The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet though. Slow burner but ultimately I'd put it second of his for me (with Cloud Atlas first and Black Swan Green tied third with Ghostwritten)

No other opinions? On MN?? shock

grin

Well, no, I would not want to be too negative about it.
I read it almost in one sitting and I will read it again (I am quite wont to reread things... blush).
I just feel I am missing something. Something obvious.
Hm.

bunnybing Wed 09-Oct-13 11:09:07

I'm struggling with this at the moment - deciding whether to give it up. It seems to go through entertaining bits then dies again. From what you say it doesn't get any better!

I was blown away by Ghostwritten and really liked Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

I really wanted to love this one too and was quite entertained by it although I found the start a bit slow. It's left me strangely unsatisfied in the end though - I think maybe because I don't 'get' the Big Theme?

Loss of twin, seeks father, kinda 'finds' mother.
Engaging description of life in Tokyo.
Pulp violence.

So far, so good.
But I must be missing something, surely? It's David Mitchell afterall...
And what's the connection to Lennon's Number 9 Dream confused??

Any literature bods out there happy to share their take on things??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now