Disappointed book inspired films

(55 Posts)
Moyerette Mon 07-Oct-13 18:38:47

What book inspired films would you say really let the literature down?

One that really sticks in my mind is Cecelia Ahern's PS: I Love You. I adore the book. It has moments of laughter and sadness. I actually cried reading it.

The film was a huge disappointment. I just couldn't gel with it. It didn't flow right and quite a substantial amount of the book was left out.

VerySmallSqueak Wed 16-Oct-13 16:11:26

Agree with The Golden Compass.

Although World War Z was completely unlike the book I still really enjoyed Brad Pitt the film. I went into it with an open mind having heard that it wasn't true to the book though so I was prepared.

The zombie film 'Autumn',however, was crap compared with the book of that name by David Moody.

I have the book of 'The Beach' waiting to read,having enjoyed the film,so I'm doing that one in reverse.

Nivet Wed 16-Oct-13 17:01:15

Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood - loved the book, the film is an abomination starring Sandra Bollock!

Mhw02 Wed 16-Oct-13 22:51:00

Completely agree on The Golden Compass. For a start because they called it The Golden Compass. It's not a compass, it's an alethiometer! And then, cutting the ending - why? Why?

Valium, don't quite agree with you about Atomement - I thought the film was excellent, but I preferred the way the ending played out in the book, it was so poetic and haunting it gave me shivers, though it was so introspective I can see it was have been nigh on impossible to film.

CircassianLeyla Tue 22-Oct-13 21:09:02

I have to disagree about The Time Traveller's Wife. I really liked the naked Eric Bana film. I really liked the book. I liked them as separate things though as I couldn't connect them together.

As a die hard Louis de Bernieres fan, I threw a teddy at the TV and shouted about 30 mins in. This is one film that misses the point entirely.

beatricequimby Fri 25-Oct-13 22:51:03

Disappointed by I Capture the Castle
Also the film 'Ramona and Beezus'. Ramona was cutesy which she absolutely isn't in the books. And the family were too well-off, in the book they are refreshingly normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now