I want to read something really intelligent and beautifully written

(253 Posts)
SalveRibena Sun 06-Oct-13 18:03:05

I have been reading crap on my Kindle for too long and now want to go back to reading Proper Books. Past favourites include Atonement, Bring Up The Bodies, The Poisonwood Bible, The Sea and The Line of Beauty.

Any advice?

dizhin79 Sun 10-Nov-13 22:58:09

Apologies if already mentioned but absolutely anything by Kate Mosse, she is incredible!!

Caitlin17 Sat 26-Oct-13 03:30:41

The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thorton Wilder

Caitlin17 Sat 26-Oct-13 03:24:47

All and everything by David Mitchell but especially Cloud Atlas.

ggirl Sat 19-Oct-13 11:41:10

sweetsoulsister totally agree about Ann Marie Macdonald ..loved those books.

mignonette Fri 18-Oct-13 09:11:32

Kindle daily deals has a great non fiction book about Paris worth reading plus Susan Hill's 'Howards End is on the Landing' for £4,63 in the general Kindle Store.

ParsingFright Thu 17-Oct-13 10:01:26

Yes indeed, Story of an African Farm, dapple.

And thank you for this thread OP. It may be the kick I need to put down the laptop and start reading and re-reading my books.

Though as the hand wavers over the bookcase, it's so hard for it not to come down comfortably on an Austen. <settles in down next to Remus>

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Oct-13 19:23:15

Posting do I can have a look next time I'm in a book shop or library. I think must get that then often forget.

mignonette Wed 16-Oct-13 19:20:47

Sweet I have read those books. They are lovely thick, meaty reads.

sweetsoulsister Wed 16-Oct-13 17:58:14

The Way the Crow Flies and Fall on Your Knees by Anne Marie Macdonald. My only complaint about this author is that she's not writing more books!

Next best thing to Margaret Atwood.

Lord of the Flies
Flaubert's Parrot
This
This

CoteDAzur Wed 16-Oct-13 14:25:39

Enjoy smile If you find a book along those lines, please share.

dappledawn Wed 16-Oct-13 13:08:07

One of the most influential, formative and profoundly moving books I have ever read is 'The Story of an African Farm' by Olive Schreiner. Old fashioned, less well-known, but visionary; so ahead of its time.

'Under the Volcano' by Malcolm Lowry. Unforgettable, almost poetic exploration of the tortured world of an alcoholic British diplomat, deserted by his wife, against the hallucinatory background of a city in Mexico on the Day of the Dead. Another book that will never leave me.

BTW Cote I have now got a copy of Ready Player One and started reading - fantastic - thlgrin just my cup of tea! Really grateful, for the recommendation - thanks.

mignonette Tue 15-Oct-13 23:38:08

You are lucky to hear Ms Athill, Highland. I agree she is one of an inspirational kind. I liked Kathleen Jamies non fiction; they have that same disciplined 'roaming' across whatever interests the writer.

I downloaded 'Pure', 'Oscar and Lucinda' 'Flight Behaviour (despite owning the hardback), 'Somewhere Towards The End' and a couple of the less 'literary' thrillers. Looking forward to the next list of offers.

I'll download 'The Observations' upon your recom Highland. Thanks.

highlandcoo Tue 15-Oct-13 23:23:13

Thank you so much for that mignonette. I've just bought The English Patient. I believe the film only scratched the surface of an excellent novel so I'm looking forward to reading it.

The Observations by Jane Harris is well worth getting - quirky, funny and intriguing and also on offer for 99p on the same link.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Diana Athill's book. I was lucky enough to hear her talk about it in London last year. What an amazing woman - one of a dying breed I think.

mignonette Tue 15-Oct-13 22:40:41

Cote That's a shame you couldn't find the other books I listed. I wonder why that was as they were all listed on the Amazon Deal of The Day offer.

They are on this link here, Cote and anybody else that is interested. I am very much looking forward to reading the Diana Athill.

Silvaspring Tue 15-Oct-13 22:10:25

If I want intelligent writing I read:
Milan Kundera
Thomas Mann
Iris Murdoch
If you haven't tried them, do.

Thewhingingdefective Tue 15-Oct-13 22:07:39

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet

nkf Tue 15-Oct-13 22:06:32

I recently read The House of Mr Biswas and can't recommend it too highly. It's funny and moving and feels exactly like real life. I lived with Mr Biswas and his family this summer.

suebfg Tue 15-Oct-13 22:04:58

The Primo Levi book 'If this is a man' is the saddest book I have ever read. I couldn't describe it as an enjoyable book but it is a must read.

Squiffyagain Tue 15-Oct-13 21:46:54

My top shelf is full of books by the following-
Primo Levi
William Golding
Julian Barnes
John Fowles
Ernest Hemingway
Kazuo Ishiguro
Cormac McCarthy
Umberto Eco
Italo Calvino

Theyre all pretty old-fashioned, but if I were stuck on a desert island I'd be happy with that lot to keep me company.

<bottom shelf of said bookshelf is full of my filthy little secret stash of crime novels that I'd also smuggle into the boat>

nkf Tue 15-Oct-13 20:44:35

Rumer Godden. I second her. Lovely writing. Edith Wharton

Gosh yes to, 'Speak, Memory.' Must re-read.

Dp has just read, 'Lolita' for the first time and didn't like it. I may have to LTB. smile

imip Tue 15-Oct-13 20:38:48

The service of clouds, delis falconer. So beautifully written, I could weep. I quite like tim winton also....

Not fiction, but Nabokov's autobiography, "Speak, Memory," is fantastic, it is just beautifully written and worth reading whether you care anything about Nabokov or not.

Will get, 'Pure' - thanks, Cote. I have a beautiful new Wilkie Collins and a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge Everest book to read first.

Agree that Mr Y promised so much and ultimately failed dismally. Some passages in it (in the earlier part) are v beautifully written though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now