Has anybody read Doctor Sleep yet?

(30 Posts)

Started it yesterday and just finished it. Must say that I rather enjoyed it. Anybody else?

LaQueenForADay Fri 11-Oct-13 17:41:29

Yes, I got that mig - but how come the True Knot had special abilities? It wasn't explained whether they'd always had them, or whether it was a result of them taking steam?

I think King was too vague about them.

I will check out Room 237 on YouTube. Thanks. It's not scarey though is it, I have never dared watch the film.

valiumredhead Fri 11-Oct-13 17:56:11

Oh great, will watch that over the weekend, thanksthanks

mignonette Fri 11-Oct-13 19:24:55

Yes King was a bit vague about how/why they became True Knot. Maybe they'll appear in another book?

He only said that they had always existed. They did target some people with special abilities- the girl found putting men to sleep to rob them was one they absorbed into their tribe. But they needed steam once they were initiated to stop them from ageing and dying. Steam kept them young and came from the dying breath of civilians with the Shining. I think the True Knot used this as 'food' allowing them to maintain their abilities. I don't think Steam gave them special powers other than eternal youth.

mignonette Fri 11-Oct-13 19:25:55

Laqueen I think you might need to watch The Shining first as otherwise it may not make so much sense. I didn't find The Shining especially scary but I may well be in the minority.

ScarerAndFuck Sat 12-Oct-13 00:28:11

I think the True Knot and steam are like Vampires and blood.

What they consume keeps them young but doesn't give them powers. Andi had her powers already and was somehow converted to become True. Rose hints that the same happened to her many years before in Ireland.

There must have been some original True to turn the others but that wasn't explained and I would have liked to know who was the first. Perhaps that's another book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now