Help me to persevere with Cloud Atlas!

(85 Posts)
ipredicttrouble Sat 28-Sep-13 14:40:38

A number of friends have recommended this book so decided to start it this week. But, man, I'm struggling with it. Give me some positive words to inspire me to keep reading!

I finished it, but wanted to slap her all the way through!

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 20:20:51

Ah well I'm with you on that, that's one of the few books I have started and given up on.

She hasn't MJ. She finished Madame Bovary when she was about 13 though, which is more than I ever did! grin

Pancakeflipper Tue 01-Oct-13 19:53:29

I read it a few years ago as part of this book club thing I was part of.

Cannot remember a thing about it now.

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 19:50:29

But has she read Cloud Atlas, Remus?

DD1 has just read it for a degree and hated it - she's usually more patient than I am!

Hayleyh34 Tue 01-Oct-13 19:45:12

Totally agree Remus, it was the way Wolf Hall was written. I've tried 3 times to read that bloody book and have given up each time. I really like the sound of it!

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 19:11:32

I think with Ulysses you need to get past the bit with Stephen at the start - but I had been warned.

Funnily enough I was warned about the 'he' in WH too so perhaps that's why it didn't bother me.

Never got further than about 60 pages with Ulysses though!

WH isn't a difficult read as such, it's more that the writing style is clunky. I hate writers using present tense (and had to turn Lucy Worsley off the TV last night because she kept talking about moments in the past in the present tense - grrrrr) and I hated her not referring to Cromwell by name and just using 'He.' The characters and story were interesting but, for me, her writing style really got in the way. I finished it, but it annoyed me all the way through.

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 17:43:45

Emmeline Wolf Hall us 'easier' than Ulysses. I loved WH - actually I loved much of Ulysses too bit I found that much harder to read and really struggled with the section in the form of a play.

Actually, I would struggle to tell you what that was about at all. I don't think I have the background literary knowledge to get all of Joyce whereas I thought WH was a straightforward story told with an unusual voice.

I completely agree with PP (was it Remus? On phone so can't see now.) that just because something is taught to degree level that everyone should like it. I refuse to waste another minute trying to read Dickens, for example.

emmelinelucas Tue 01-Oct-13 16:11:12

About.

emmelinelucas Tue 01-Oct-13 16:10:29

I have never been able to really read Wolf Hall. I dont think I like it, even though so many people have raved about it. The family tree at the front of the book puts me off.
It looks too difficult !
Have just now finished the Clare Balding book.
Liked it, but wont think about it again.
I didnt know anything more aout her when I finished.

I stopped myself from mentioning Wolf Hall in my earlier post. Just because something is taught on university courses and acclaimed by (some) critics, doesn't mean that everybody has to think it is a work of genius. It isn't.

Hayleyh34 Mon 30-Sep-13 22:41:54

Emmeline - I thought Wolf Hall was awful. Did you love it?!

emmelinelucas Mon 30-Sep-13 22:16:39

Just read the thread again - Ulysses is my favourite book !
I just read and I sink into it.
It makes my heart sing.

But dont get me started on Wolf Hall.

I digress.

Back to Cloud Atlas...

Its not a pick up put down book is it ? Not one for reading on the bus.

Cooroo Mon 30-Sep-13 22:14:43

Loved it. Have read everything Mitchell has written. I can't see why the opening story should be hard work? The structure is challenging but you just keep reading surely?

I dunno I suppose if you don't like it, stop. Seems a shame though.

Catmint Mon 30-Sep-13 22:10:54

I have it as audiobook which works well.

Hayleyh34 Mon 30-Sep-13 22:09:17

I'm sorry Cote it's just all too intense, I really don't want to engage.

emmelinelucas Mon 30-Sep-13 22:09:07

I really enjoyed it, in the end. I had 2 attempts but I just wasnt in the mood. An afternoon on my own, cat on knee without distractions drew me into the stories.
I just read without thinking IYKWIM and it just blew me away - i have dreamt about it !
I liked the way that the stories took me away somewhere else, that I couldnt have imagined myself.

CoteDAzur Mon 30-Sep-13 21:53:44

Well, I love a good book debate too, but you practically refused it. How many times did I ask you to comment on my notes in this thread? Why didn't you, if you like debating books? confused

Hayleyh34 Mon 30-Sep-13 21:29:53

nkf - that's why I love it but many don't. I love a nice book debate but didn't particularly like the tone earlier. I love how literature divides as long as it's a positive debate! It shows the power of reading which I'm all about

nkf Mon 30-Sep-13 21:19:19

I don't get why people don't get Gatsby. I can see that the stylistic tricks of Cloud Atlas take some getting used to but Gatsby? It's so simple and elegant and clear. I suppose if you have to like characters as if they are real people...but even then, how can you not like Gatsby?

Really?? grin
I don't hate it, but I just find it a bit depressing and meh, none of the main characters have redeeming features, its setting gives my nothing to identify with (too long ago, too rich) and the sexual peccadillos are just quite... yeuch.

Isn't it great that there are books for every taste?

Hayleyh34 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:20:27

Lots of people hate Gatsby, I can't explain what draws me in about it but I just adore it! It's my go- to book for whenever I'm fed up with life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now