Help me to persevere with Cloud Atlas!

(85 Posts)
ipredicttrouble Sat 28-Sep-13 14:40:38

A number of friends have recommended this book so decided to start it this week. But, man, I'm struggling with it. Give me some positive words to inspire me to keep reading!

WH isn't a difficult read as such, it's more that the writing style is clunky. I hate writers using present tense (and had to turn Lucy Worsley off the TV last night because she kept talking about moments in the past in the present tense - grrrrr) and I hated her not referring to Cromwell by name and just using 'He.' The characters and story were interesting but, for me, her writing style really got in the way. I finished it, but it annoyed me all the way through.

Never got further than about 60 pages with Ulysses though!

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 19:11:32

I think with Ulysses you need to get past the bit with Stephen at the start - but I had been warned.

Funnily enough I was warned about the 'he' in WH too so perhaps that's why it didn't bother me.

Hayleyh34 Tue 01-Oct-13 19:45:12

Totally agree Remus, it was the way Wolf Hall was written. I've tried 3 times to read that bloody book and have given up each time. I really like the sound of it!

DD1 has just read it for a degree and hated it - she's usually more patient than I am!

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 19:50:29

But has she read Cloud Atlas, Remus?

Pancakeflipper Tue 01-Oct-13 19:53:29

I read it a few years ago as part of this book club thing I was part of.

Cannot remember a thing about it now.

She hasn't MJ. She finished Madame Bovary when she was about 13 though, which is more than I ever did! grin

maillotjaune Tue 01-Oct-13 20:20:51

Ah well I'm with you on that, that's one of the few books I have started and given up on.

I finished it, but wanted to slap her all the way through!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now