I'm lost in a sea of paper!

(4 Posts)
Skinheadmermaid Fri 27-Sep-13 11:42:10

I need something new to read! I go into book shops and i'm baffled!
I am quite a vicarious enthusiastic reader albeit somewhat fussy.
I like a good yarn with characters i can emotionally relate to, for this reason i find a lot of male authors and third person stories hard to get into...they don't get into the skin of the character.
I have quite eclectic taste, i like phillipa gregory, margaret atwood, sarah walters, orwell. I like various fantasy (neil gaiman springs to mind) but although i enjoy it in theory and write my own i find most science fiction too remote, no matter how vast the universe i want to know how the people FEEL.
I really enjoyed the game of thrones series which surprised me as medieval fantasy ain't normally my bag.
With my waffling post in mind can anyone recommend a good series or books i can sink my teeth into and get lost in?

littleblackno Fri 27-Sep-13 21:38:44

Ken Follett. Edward Rutherford, Jodie Picoult, why don't you go to charity shops and pick up a load really cheaply. Or ask in your library? Sorry probably not very helpful.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 27-Sep-13 21:46:36

How about The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern?

I would suggest joining Goodreads, putting in what you have read and take a look at the recommendations.

penguinpaperback Fri 27-Sep-13 23:55:25

There are some good non fiction books out at the moment, how about a rest from fiction? Or, with Christmas around the corner, I noticed my Waterstones had some good short story compilations, various authors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now