McEwan, Faulks, Ishiguro, Atwood

(39 Posts)
EsTutMirLeid Fri 20-Sep-13 21:57:36

My favourite authors are Ian McEwan, Sebastian Faulks, Kazuo Ishiguro and Margaret Atwood. I've adored everything they've written. So who else might I like please? I need something new to read! smile

yesbutnobut Fri 27-Sep-13 19:05:10

I think you'd like Rose Tremain (especially her history novels like Music and Silence), William Boyd, Kate Atkinson, Barbara Kingsolver, Sarah Waters, Julian Barnes and have you read any Anne Tyler (not her most recent books)?

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Wed 25-Sep-13 14:42:37

Julian Barnes, yes, definitely.

John Fowles, a bit different, but very good on the whole. Start with The Collector or French Lieutenant's Woman.

Cooroo Tue 24-Sep-13 23:32:10

David Mitchell is the Cloud Atlas author (not the comedian!) and all his stuff is excellent.

elQuintoConyo Mon 23-Sep-13 11:18:20

I tend to avoid anything that's been translated: Isabel Allende, Carlos Ruiz Zafron; ok books for a story but it won't be in their style, iyswim?

I have all Margaret Atwood, Carl Shields (I particularly love Happenstance and Larry's Party). Angela Carter is excellent, I love her re-workings of fairytales. Kate Atkinson is wonderful - read in order! Case Histories is peerless.
I have just been re-reading my Fay Weldon, great stuff! I have a great photo of 2yo DS 'reading' Puffball!

I'd suggest hitting charity shops and buying a bunch of interesting-looking books, what you don't like/didn't finish, you haven't lost out much. Then you can take them all back to the charity shop - win, win, win!

BitBewildered Mon 23-Sep-13 10:21:53

Peter Carey, AS Byatt, Julian Barnes, Salman Rushdie, Margaret Forster. I always enjoy David Lodge, too.

exexpat Mon 23-Sep-13 10:11:06

John Lanchester (Debt to Pleasure, Capital), William Boyd (Any Human Heart), Barbara Kingsolver (Prodigal Summer, Poisonwood Bible). And anything by Carol Shields.

HilaryM Mon 23-Sep-13 10:05:03

Jon Mcgregor. Ann Patchett.

HilaryM Mon 23-Sep-13 10:04:06

Elizabeth Taylor. E Annie Proulx. Michael Cunningham.

HilaryM Mon 23-Sep-13 10:02:26

Kent Haruf. Paul Auster.

IndridCold Sun 22-Sep-13 22:58:18

Rupert Thomson
Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Teapigging Sun 22-Sep-13 12:50:23

Alan Hollinghurst, Anne Enwright, Angela Carter (start with Nights at the Circus or Wise Children), Colm Toibin (start with The Blackwater Lightship), Hilary Mantel (start with A Change of Climate), Alice Munro, Mavis Gallant, David Mitchell (start with Cloud Atlas).

hackmum Sun 22-Sep-13 11:04:37

I would definitely agree with Carol Shields, Sarah Waters and Alan Hollinghurst. Anyone else mentioned Julian Barnes? Some of his books are great, and very like Sebastian Faulks in a lot of ways. I particularly love the short stories.

I also love Alison Lurie - you don't read much about her these days but she was fairly prolific a few years ago, and they're really enjoyable books.

Minty82 Sat 21-Sep-13 12:14:47

Yes to Carol Shields, I love all her books. Also Barbara Kingsolver, Zadie Smith, Hari Kunzru, Salman Rushdie?

Definitely yy to Isabel Allende, my favorite by her is The House of Spirits.

tobiasfunke Sat 21-Sep-13 10:36:24

Isabel Allende, Jonathan Franzen, Jeffrey Eugenides

highlandcoo Sat 21-Sep-13 10:32:39

How about Alan Hollinghurst - maybe start with The Line of Beauty.

You might also like Ann Patchett. Bel Canto and State of Wonder are particularly good.

EsTutMirLeid Sat 21-Sep-13 07:45:42

Thank you, thank you. That's great I've been struggling to find any other authors whose style suits what I like.

Obviously that was meant to read Book. Or I was speaking Librarian!

I was thinking Murakami too.
Also, these are books aimed at young adults but they are well worth reading, The Ask and The Answer series by Patrick Ness. He has also recently published a ook for adults but I am yet to read it.
Also Dream Number Nine by the guy who wrote Cloud Atlas, which I could not get on with but Dream Number Nine is an amazing book.
And lastly, try Special Topics in Calamity Physics, amazing story.
Oh and yy to Donna Tartt!

haverer Sat 21-Sep-13 06:42:13

I love your favourites and also AL Kennedy.

rootypig Sat 21-Sep-13 06:29:54

Oh yes Alice Munro! Breathtaking

rootypig Sat 21-Sep-13 06:29:16

Siri Hustvedt The Blindfold

DuchessofMalfi Sat 21-Sep-13 06:22:45

I read Norwegian Wood a couple of weeks ago and loved it too. My first Murakami. Looking forward to reading more.

Also like McEwan. Atonement is one of my favourite novels. I'm still working my way through his novels, but did like Enduring Love - was very good.

ButterMyArse Sat 21-Sep-13 00:26:28

I third (or fourth) Murukami. Norwegian Wood is AMAZING. Amazing, incredible ... one of my favourite ever books.

You would probably like Julian Barnes.
And The English Patient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now