New book releases I am looking forward to

(69 Posts)
mignonette Fri 20-Sep-13 20:26:36

Loads of great new releases due soon. These are the ones I'll be buying straight away-

The new Donna Tartt 'The Goldfinch'

Stephen King's 'Doctor Sleep'

Fannie Flagg's 'The All Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion'

Wally Lamb's 'We Are Water'

Nigel Slater's 'Eat, Little Boof of Fast Food'

Bill Brysons's 'One Summer: America 1927'

And apparently Nigella has a new book due late Spring. Hopefully a return to form.

What books will you be looking out for?

BetsyBidwell Thu 26-Sep-13 02:15:29

Oh that's lovely highland. He's on twitter. Tell him!

southeastdweller Fri 27-Sep-13 22:08:06

The new Bridget Jones is a must for me, as is the June brown autobio.

Does anyone remember Mary-Anne Boermans from Bake Off two or three years ago? Her book is finally out soon and seems much more interesting than the baking books that constantly get published now.

mignonette Sat 28-Sep-13 12:36:38

Am chugging along nicely w/ the new Stephen King. Glad to see a good review in the Guardian today.

The new Nigel Slater cookbook 'Eat-The Little Boof of Fast Food' is a gorgeous, fat, chunky little thing. Some wonderful recipes too.

I am tandem reading the new Bill Bryson 'One Summer' which is a book you can dip in and out of. Am enjoying greatly.

southeastdweller Sat 28-Sep-13 21:13:53

Excerpt of the new Bridget Jones book is in the Sunday Times tomorrow, btw.

Bought the King and Bryson ones today.

SarahAndFuck Sun 29-Sep-13 11:53:48

Finished the King one. I enjoyed it but I think its nowhere near as dark as The Shining.

hackmum Sun 29-Sep-13 14:27:03

The Sunday Times and the MoS have given away the main event of the new Bridget Jones book, damn' em.

Looking forward to the Donna Tartt. Also Jonathan Coe has a new book out, and am quite excited about that too.

aoife24 Sun 29-Sep-13 18:31:54

I'm interested in The Luminaries (Booker Prize Long List) by Eleanor Catton. The wild, west coast of NZ in the 19th century, during the gold rush.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 29-Sep-13 19:03:29

The new Meg Rosoff.

I'm not reading it till enough people I trust tell me it's good, though. Rosoff sometimes hits and sometimes misses.

VJONES1985 Sun 29-Sep-13 19:19:54

Great list. Looking forward to The Luminaries, the new Pratchett and Mantel books, plus Alison Weir's next one.

Sadly, I think Meg R misses more than she hits. Have given up on her (unless I get desperate!).

mignonette Tue 01-Oct-13 17:05:55

I can only assume that Helen Fielding agreed to the plot disclosure re the new Bridget Jones? It was on the front page of the ST. I'm not a fan of the books but if I was I'd be so livid I'd not bother buying it.

mignonette Tue 01-Oct-13 17:10:27

Posted too soon.

Finished the New Steven King w/ tears running down my cheeks. I agree w/ Sarah; it's not as dark but it really affected me. He captures the guilty secrets that weigh us down and the NA/AA mantras are cleverly interwoven without being preachy. Loved it. Good one Mr King (because he was apparently very nervous about the reception the sequel would get).

ScarerAndFuck Tue 01-Oct-13 17:16:57

He needn't have been worried, it was very good and interesting to see what becomes of Danny.

I enjoyed Doctor Sleep too. Are you all on my thread about it? smile

mignonette Tue 01-Oct-13 17:43:38

I'll hop over there Remus.

penguinpaperback Fri 04-Oct-13 23:19:36

Just out this week, The Love Object, the selected stories of Edna O'Brien. And at the end of October, The Mistletoe Bride and other Haunting Tales a selection of short stories by Kate Mosse.

penguinpaperback Fri 04-Oct-13 23:27:27

Two more, The Pure Gold Baby, by Margaret Drabble and the 'new' Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope.

mignonette Sat 05-Oct-13 22:43:25

The first novel by the ballet dancer Carlos Acosta looks a promising start. It is called 'Pig's Foot' and is an inter generational novel set in Cuba.

The Drabble novel sounds good and is about a single Mother and her daughter.

Amy Tan has a new novel out called 'The Valley of Amazement' set in Shanghai about a courtesan and have also read that June Chang also is about to publish 'Empress Dowager Cixi'; a biography about the woman she sees as changing the course of Chinese history.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now