New book releases I am looking forward to

(69 Posts)
mignonette Fri 20-Sep-13 20:26:36

Loads of great new releases due soon. These are the ones I'll be buying straight away-

The new Donna Tartt 'The Goldfinch'

Stephen King's 'Doctor Sleep'

Fannie Flagg's 'The All Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion'

Wally Lamb's 'We Are Water'

Nigel Slater's 'Eat, Little Boof of Fast Food'

Bill Brysons's 'One Summer: America 1927'

And apparently Nigella has a new book due late Spring. Hopefully a return to form.

What books will you be looking out for?

WowOoo Tue 24-Sep-13 12:00:35

Adding lots of these to my library request list. Even though they've started charging, it's still a bargain.

Will watch this thread for more. Thanks!

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 20:22:35

Helen Fieldings new Bridget Jones 'Mad About the Boy' is due on Oct 10th. I'm not a fan but I know many are so that'll be something to look forward to. The Oct 2013 copy of American Vogue has an excerpt.

Alexander McCall Smith's The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Book 14' is due Oct 3rd.

Susan Hill's 'A Question of Identity: Simon Serrailler Book 7' is due this Thursday.

The new Joe Nesbo 'Cockroaches' is out 28th Nov.

Hugh Howey's 'Dust' is out Oct 24th

Douglas Copeland's new novel 'Worst. Person. Ever' is published Oct 3rd.

Rachel Khoo has a new French cookbook out 10th Oct and HFW's new fruit book is out on the same day.

I love this time of year for books.

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 20:23:40

sathnam sanghera's follow up to his AMAZING Boy with the TOp Knot

out on thursday
www.amazon.co.uk/Marriage-Material-Sathnam-Sanghera/dp/0434021903/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380050609&sr=8-1&keywords=sathnam

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 20:23:57

i am sure i have read the serallier no 7 already?

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 20:24:19

i have read some real duds recently

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 20:37:07

Betsy Would that be in Hardback? I've just been sent am email about the Sanghera book. Looks promising.

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 20:37:53

on kindle - I read on holiday

SarahAndFuck Tue 24-Sep-13 20:51:41

Hugh Howey's Dust cannot be published soon enough for me.

And I bought Doctor Sleep today smile

And although there's no firm date for the third book in the Patrick Rothfuss Kingkiller series, I am waiting very impatiently for it.

Same with the third of Justin Cronin's trilogy that started with The Passage and then The Twelve.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 24-Sep-13 20:52:38

I have preordered Wally Lamb, Bill Bryson and Donna Tartt.

Went off Fannie Flagg a few books ago.....I thought I saw a review for Serailler novel which wasn't very good.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 20:53:04

Sarah I haven't had time today to get Dr Sleep-I'll be pulling an all nighter when I do get it. Enjoy!

SarahAndFuck Tue 24-Sep-13 20:59:38

I think I might be doing the same mignonette, I'm so excited about it.

I once cancelled a date for the new Stephen King grin

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 21:00:19

Amy Tan has a new novel out called 'The Valley of Amazement' out in November but unsure as of yet if that is USA release.

I'm looking forward to Adriana Trigiani's 'The Supreme Macaroni Company' due out the end of November. I find her books so heartwarming. Just a good story, no demands made of me other than curling up on my chair....

I loved Dave Eggers 'Zeitoun' and his new one 'The Circle' look promising.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 21:02:19

Sarah I pressed my suspended animation button for 11/22/63. I loved that book- the Americana, the attention to detail, his characterisation. And I think he writes about love. The supernatural is there alright, but I find his writing deeply affecting.

CooEeeEldridge Tue 24-Sep-13 21:09:57

I live you mignonette!! Love Donna Tartt, didn't even know she was writing another! Might retread The Secret History before then.

SarahAndFuck Tue 24-Sep-13 21:13:10

I really liked 11/22/63. I liked the idea of going back but facing so many obstacles and having to start again and again

And I liked the man with the ticket, Kyle, and who and what he might be. I'm hoping something might be made of those men in a future book. I know we didn't see much of them in that book, but I feel there's potential there for them to be something more in another book.

There's so much more to him (SK) than the horror and supernatural stuff that I don't think people realise until they read him. But he influenced me greatly as a teen with his ideas of fairness and justice and morality. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for the themes in his books and the positive effect that they can have.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 24-Sep-13 21:17:07

I loved 11/22/63 too. I actually cried.

Is the new book a stand alone or part of a series?

MrsDavidBowie Tue 24-Sep-13 21:20:01

Ah I see it's a sequel to the shining.

mignonette Tue 24-Sep-13 21:51:21

Sarah I thought that about Kyle too. I hope SK lives for a very very long time because the thought of all those books yet to come.....

I have seen a decline in the affected snobbishness regarding his work over the last few years. Critics are nowe starting to acknowledge what a towering figure he is in the mapping of modern Americana and his characterisations are second to none. We know his characters so well by the end of each book.

MRsDavidBowie Yes it is a sequel. Love your name BTW. I am Bowie's next wife should you ever seek a divorce grin

BetsyBidwell Tue 24-Sep-13 21:56:01

hated 11 thingy

Bajas Tue 24-Sep-13 22:03:09

All of those mentioned in your op and very excited about new Phil Rickman and Terry Pratchett.

Also looking forward to new Michael Connolly, George R R Martin (if he ever finishes it!) Brandon Sanderson's sequel to The Way of Kings and the next Brent Weeks from the Painted Man series (in a fantasy vibe at the minute)

Not a lot then...

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 25-Sep-13 00:15:36

I have to admit that I have never read Stephen King, but based on what several posters said, I just downloaded 11/22/63 to my kindle. I can't believe I missed that book. I am old enough to remember Nov. 22, 1963 and continue to be fascinated with that period in time. Thanks, all!

highlandcoo Wed 25-Sep-13 09:32:19

Betsy I heard Sathnam Sanghera talking about his new book the other week at a local literary festival. Queued up to buy it and had a chat with him afterwards as well. What a likeable amusing man. If the book is as good as his entertaining talk about it should be well worth reading.

MrsDavidBowie Wed 25-Sep-13 11:34:02

Doctor Sleep is £9.99 in Smiths

mignonette Wed 25-Sep-13 12:03:41

Scone I envy your reading it for the first time.

Am off to buy Dr Sleep today. Cannot wait. And the new Nigel Slater cookbook which I read like novels.

mumslife Wed 25-Sep-13 13:42:51

Cant wait for new cazalet one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now