Your favourite cosy, autumn-wintery, curl up by the fire books?

(117 Posts)
LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Sun 15-Sep-13 16:45:42

I put this in Adult Fiction but I'd be happy with recommendations for memoirs or children's books or whatever, as well. Just has to be the sort of book you love to sit down with on a cold autumn day and read from cover to cover. Bonus points if you come up with suggestions for good Christmas reading for later on.

Doesn't have to be set in/evocative of autumn and winter, just books you feel you'd want to read at this time of year.

Thank you. smile

sophiaheulwen Fri 15-Nov-13 17:33:36

I loved those books, too. Wish I could remember the names. In the early 1980s, I saw a house for sale that was the setting of the book..Mum and I read them them in the 1960s Was it 'Seal Morning"?

Thewhingingdefective Tue 08-Oct-13 00:31:44

How about some Tove Jansson - her Moomin books, especially Comet in Moominland, Moominpappa At Sea and Moomin Valley Midwinter. Or The Summer Book and The Winter a Book. Stunning, beautiful and a little bit sad, lonely and desolate feeling.

Daphne Du Maurier - Rebecca, The House on the Strand (man takes drugs and time travels/has a trip to 14th century Cornwall), Jamaica Inn etc

The Daylight Gate - Jeanette Winterson. English witch trials in 1600s

kateandme Mon 07-Oct-13 23:54:16

rosamund pilcher are the best for feeling cosy.with twist,family drama,saga.emotional.hilarious.witty/.i love them

LaQueenForADay Wed 25-Sep-13 15:26:39

I'd be right there with you Lyonesse - it's my idea of Heaven smile

Lyonesse Tue 24-Sep-13 19:59:49

LaQueen - I would happily drop everything and become one now, if Viviane turned up and asked me to do so blush

LaQueenForADay Tue 24-Sep-13 13:21:44

Lyonesse I first read Mists of Avalon when I was 12, and I desperately wanted to train to be a priestess of the Goddess smile

Lyonesse Tue 24-Sep-13 08:51:23

I love these kinds of books! I'm currently living in Russia so using the cold weather as an excuse so spend hours curled up under a blanket with my kindle.
My favourite is The Mists of Avalon, I was utterly hooked from the first page, everything about it drew me in (Arthurian, female characters who do more than just simper, slightly woo). Every time I read it I get the urge to paint myself in woad and move to a commune.
Adore Neil Gaiman, especially his short stories and American Gods. I'm currently rereading The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks, and each winter I end up reading The Secret Garden for the millionth time. Bliss smile

LaQueenForADay Mon 23-Sep-13 23:38:37

LRD I have everything Elizabeth Chadwick has written (she literally lives down the road from me smile )

My faves are The Winter Mantle, The Falcons of Montalbard, The Love Knot, & Shadows & Strongholds.

Please don't be put off by the cheesy titles - she's really very, very good.

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 23-Sep-13 21:53:14

rosa - oh, yes, I love to read poetry. And I agree about the Wasteland, or Four Quartets. I'm sorry about my anti-Dickens stance ... it just leaves me cold. Including Christmas Carol TBH. I don't hate CC, but I don't love it either. I will look for the others, however.

scarlet - thank you! I will look. I didn't know Susan Fletcher's book and I loved Eve Green and liked Oystercatchers by her, so it would be a good bet for me.

LeQ - thanks! I don't mind samey-samey for a bit, really - I can just read until I get bored.

LaQueenForADay Mon 23-Sep-13 20:15:56

Elizabeth Chadwick writes a very good historical novel that you can lose yourself in. Not quite so intricate as Penman or RHJ, but still very absorbing with some memorable characters.

They're all set in the 11th and 12th centuries and can be a bit samey-samey with typically a young couple starting at daggers drawn, but forced together through mischance, then gradually warming to each other...you get the gist.

But, very well written and definitely many notches higher than your typical bodice ripper.

Scarlettsstars Mon 23-Sep-13 18:26:51

Its all about witchcraft in my house at the moment. Precious Bane by Mary Webb is a brilliant evocation of 19th century rural life and the description of the seasons is lush. I'd also add Susan Fletchers Witch Light which has great depictions of cold Scottish moors and windswept mountains. Perfect for feeling cosy grin

rosabud Sat 21-Sep-13 10:46:23

As an afternoon is not oodles of time, what about poetry? Darkening Autumn afternoons always pull me back to T.S.Eliot's Wasteland, then usually on to the rest of his poems. Or Keats' The Eve of St Agnes with its wonderful contrast of the richness of the lovers' room and the cold outside.

Looking ahead, I re-read A Christmas Carol every Christmas, just don't feel n the mood until I've read that! I know you expressed a distaste for Dickens upthread so, if you can't read the whole novel, just read the description of the party at Scrooge's nephew's house where they are all playing Blind Man's Buff - it's so beautifully described, so good-humoured, so jolly, so funny, that you can't help feeling like one of the guests yourself!

If you want un-put-downable/young people's/fantasy-sci-fi type stuff, I recently read Patrick McNee's Chaos Walking trilogy which was all of those things and, also, a lot of Robert Swindell's books can be read in an afternoon; my favourite is Daz 4 Zoe.

LaQueenForADay Fri 20-Sep-13 08:49:51

Oh, just thought of yet another.

'I, Elizabeth' by Rosalind Miles. A fabulous book, a real jewellery box of delights. Written as Elizabeth 1's autobiography, fantastic prose, and you really feel as though you're right there with her.

Was very disappointed with Margaret George's 'Henry VIII' though. In fact I haven't bothered to finish it.

titan Fri 20-Sep-13 08:27:31

I liked The Discovery of Witches and the sequel. They are definitely cosy page turners. Not amazingly well written as far as I remember and a fair bit of repetititive use of adjectives, but not annoying enough to make me stop reading!

Another good historical one is Legacy by Susan Kay. It's based around Elzabeth I. It was written years ago and I had to track it down second hand but it appears it has been re-released.

I have to say, I was slightly disappointed by all Anya Seton's other ones. None lived up to Katherine for me. Green Darkness is the best of the others.

Jux Thu 19-Sep-13 22:21:34

The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies. Though I'd be hard put to it to get it read cover to cover in one day.

LaQueenForADay Thu 19-Sep-13 22:03:21

Only ish LRD.

Be prepared for Sunne...you'll fall in love with Richard, I promise.

Then after that, you must read Here Be Dragons, and oh God, Llewellyn is just...well, you have to read it. You have to.

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 21:58:12

I have read most of what she's written.

Sorry. But it makes up for the lack of Sunne in Splendour. Ish.

LaQueenForADay Thu 19-Sep-13 21:55:28

Green Darkness by Anya Seton is excellent smile

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 21:53:16

right book.

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 21:53:05

Of course. It is practically fact.

titan - Forever Amber is already on its way from Amazon! grin
Will look to the others ... only reservation I have is Discovery of Witches. Someone on here - IIRC sieglinde (who I haven't seen for yonks) was a bit sneery about it and said it she'd got the bits wrong, does that make sense? I don't know what it's about really so hoping I've got the wright book.

titan Thu 19-Sep-13 21:51:00

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I must try some of your recommendations. Based on what you have said I would recommend:
Forever Amber - like Katherine but better
Cross stitch
mists of Avalon
The Thirteenth Tale
The Discovery of Witches
Enjoy!

LaQueenForADay Thu 19-Sep-13 21:47:13

LRD he was an incredibly clever and cunning chap there is every chance that he carefully cloached and trained a doppelganger, and allowed the doppelganger to be arrested and taken to the Tower...while he caught ship to Italy, and set up his own restaurant, and lived happily ever after.

Yes, there's every chance. There is. There is [stamps foot]

LaQueenForADay Thu 19-Sep-13 21:44:48

Oh sorry, I though Beyond Black was the third TC novel blush

Infact is there a third TC novel? I just assumed there would be? Because if there isn't tell me know, because I won't start reading Bodies...therefore maintaining my happy illusion.

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 21:42:48

Yep, I am also deliberately suspending disbelief. No idea what happens to him. Honest.

TC = Bodies not Beyond Black.

You made me laugh though. Every time I read a new book about Captain Scott, I hope that this time he'll make it home! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now