Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Your favourite cosy, autumn-wintery, curl up by the fire books?

(117 Posts)
LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Sun 15-Sep-13 16:45:42

I put this in Adult Fiction but I'd be happy with recommendations for memoirs or children's books or whatever, as well. Just has to be the sort of book you love to sit down with on a cold autumn day and read from cover to cover. Bonus points if you come up with suggestions for good Christmas reading for later on.

Doesn't have to be set in/evocative of autumn and winter, just books you feel you'd want to read at this time of year.

Thank you. smile

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Sun 15-Sep-13 21:28:12

Nothing like the sound of rain while you're reading. smile

Thank you for the recommendation.

AnnetteCurtin Sun 15-Sep-13 22:18:31

That's not sad Pascha, I love The Secret Garden. Ooh, ooh, The Railway Children and A Little Princess.

Will try and think of more adult type books when I cba to rouse myself smile

Deathwatchbeetle Mon 16-Sep-13 14:17:13

Love Lilian Beckwith books-didnot realise that the Island was a made up name and asked the Scottish tourist board where it was! Spot the Sassanach!

Beeyump Mon 16-Sep-13 15:45:50

Oo, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith! I am due a reread. There's a bit in it about Cassandra really imagining herself into the books she reads, making a big effort, and that's what I do when I read it - I am almost in the kitchen sink. smile

mignonette Mon 16-Sep-13 15:49:41

Have a look at my Bookworm Pinboard here as I pin all my book recommendations on it. There's a travel writing and culinary journalism board too.

BigPawsBrown Mon 16-Sep-13 15:50:33

Dolly I do exactly that too!!

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 16-Sep-13 15:52:39

Thank you - I don't own I Capture the Castle (big oversight). It's lovely.

mignonette - thank you so much, that looks great.

Btw please don't anyone apologize about children's books, I love them.

Beeyump Mon 16-Sep-13 15:56:19

Also, although it's clearly not autumnal, The Greengage Summer is great for a cosy wallow. Or a Monica Dickens book, they're so readable!

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 16-Sep-13 16:00:10

Oooh! I've just looked that up. I love Rumer Godden so how is it I've never read that?!

Thank you, that's brilliant.

I have a ridiculously long Amazon list now. It's lovely. I'm putting anything that costs more than a penny on my wish list, but loads of these are really cheap. smile

The Woman In White or The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins.

Sherlock Holmes short stories.

Frankenstein.

And anything to do with the Arctic/Antarctic. smile

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Mon 16-Sep-13 18:39:26

Thank you. smile

I never 'got' Frankestine but will try the others.

swannylovesu Mon 16-Sep-13 18:50:53

another vote for the outlander series....jamie fraiser swoonblush

mumslife Mon 16-Sep-13 19:45:46

I will second the cazalets fab and there is book five coming out

MooncupGoddess Mon 16-Sep-13 22:20:34

Any Sarah Waters.

Rosamund Lehmann is great if you fancy a bit of an emotional wallow - Dusty Answer is my favourite. Elizabeth Bowen too.

Charles Palliser's The Quincunx - an enormous, absorbing pastiche Victorian novel that looks at the dark side of the world Dickens and Trollope describe.

Philip Pullman's earlier books (well, His Dark Materials too, but I'm sure you know them) - The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, The Tiger in the Well.

Josephine Tey - Brat Farrar, Miss Pym Disposes.

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Tue 17-Sep-13 08:14:09

I'd never heard of the Outlander series before this thread, and it sounds great. I have been waiting for Cazalets 5! I love that series.

moon - those sound good (though, erm, I cannot imagine anything worse that Dickens+Trollope. Sorry. One day I will be mature and overcome my dislike of them). I did love Ruby in the Smoke, though, and then failed to find the others. Thank you for reminding me!

I realized I never put down what I normally read and it's kinda relevant. If I hadn't read them too many times, I'd be curling up with:

Anya Seton - Katherine
Rosemary Sutcliffe - Knight's Fee
A. S. Byatt - Possession
The older Diana Wynne Jones books
Michelle Magorian - Love Song, Cuckoo in the Nest etc.
Rumer Godden - In This House of Brede
Eco - Name of the Rose
Barbara Trapiedo - anything

Those are my go-to comfort reads and Knight's Fee has lovely descriptive bits for autumn. It's just I've read them so many times.

I'm getting up a good list of new ones, thanks. smile

Beeyump Tue 17-Sep-13 10:09:03

I just bought 'Brother of the More Famous Jack'. smile

JonesH Tue 17-Sep-13 10:17:07

I read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier! Love watching the old classic film too!

I take it you've read, Goodnight Mr Tom?'
Since you seem to like children's books too, have you read (some of my absolute favourite comfort reads):
Daddy Long Legs
Charlotte Sometimes
Tom's Midnight Garden
Ballet Shoes

penguinpaperback Wed 18-Sep-13 20:56:52

I've had a year of re-reading children's books. Daddy Long Legs is in my TBR pile but it's one I never read when growing up. Along with this one A Stitch in Time by Penelope Lively. I've read all her adult books. (anyone who reads P.L. there's a new book out this Autumn.)
And how about Gothic Tales by Elizabeth Gaskell?

SecretSpi Wed 18-Sep-13 21:24:05

I love The Wind in the Willows at Christmas - the chapter where Mole rediscovers his old home and the carolling field mice turn up.

LaQueenForADay Wed 18-Sep-13 23:18:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaQueenForADay Wed 18-Sep-13 23:23:53

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 15:36:21

Thanks, this is great. smile

bee, hope you like it, it's one of my favourite books.

remus - read all but Daddy Long-Legs, so I will try that. Thank you!

Not read the Gaskell - I will, thanks.

LaQ - I have RHJ on my wishlist (since one of the long history threads). The Mists of Avalon sounds my cup of tea, too.

LaQueenForADay Thu 19-Sep-13 15:44:31

LRDMaguliYaPomochTebeSRaboti Thu 19-Sep-13 15:47:59

I will, I will.

I like Arthurian legends through women's eyes - it sounds great. And huge books. Both very good things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now