AIBU to be so angry to have just found out that 'Game Of Thrones' has not been completed yet?

(94 Posts)

Well, am I?

So I worked myself through all 5 books (7 if you coung that 2 of them come in 2 parts) and only then to I find out that the next installment won't be fecking published until 2015 shockangry!
I mean, I ask you!!

<<sigh>>
sad
<unfullfilled and frustrated>

Somebody could've warned me....

SilverApples Mon 16-Sep-13 22:19:20

'they never really made it to Europe'

They made it as far as Poland. Went home for a funeral and a vote.

Ach, who cares about Drogo grin?
I just want Jon Snow to have an ickly babee with Dany and Live Happily Ever After.
The baby can grow up to become Emporor of the World.
The End.

See, I've written it for him
grin

KateCroydon Mon 16-Sep-13 19:49:07

Meh. I can't see Drogo coming back. The Dothraki are modelled on the Mongols/Tartars and they never really made it to Europe/Westeros.

I do think Jon Snow's parents are an interesting mystery though - and yes, I do mean 'parents'.

grin[evil cackle]

Why should you have more control over how you spend you time than I do? <surveys feral children, untidy house, neglected husband and career in tatters> not really, but it IS a collossal time-sucker

Jon Snow... hm, not sure. Seeing that I fancy him I'd like him to do well, something has to save him and it ain't going to be Wun Wun, is it? So yes, either some magic or other, or a genius maester of some kind?

Oh, I am so excited that the witches prophesy can be explained 'away' - I thought there'd be some way around it like that (it's what happens in all good Faerietales worth their salt), but I just couldn't figure it out, so thanks again, Marianne grin.

I think we should appoint Marianne Expert Extraordinaire on all things GoT - kudos!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 16-Sep-13 17:36:25

Lordy, I am going to spend hours on that site that I'm never going to get back, aren't I?

Saying that, I'm actually grateful for that link, thank you grin

What is your theory on Jon Snow's current position? The crows have turned against him, Wun Wun the giant is having a massive wobbler and it seems he has been stabbed multiple times. Do you think this is where the whole Warg thing will help him?

ILike, Try the AWOIAF wiki - you can search for every character individually.
It's not like I have wasted spent hours and hours on it, no siree, not at all blush

MarianneEnjolras Mon 16-Sep-13 14:38:01

Where shall we start ILike? grin

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 16-Sep-13 14:09:47

I finished the last book this morning. I now need a synopsis of where every character is upto and what they're doing....

Ooooh Marianne, you are good

I thought the prophecy re Dany was just a witchy way of saying "hello, like never" but you are so right.

Canidae Sun 15-Sep-13 22:05:23

I'm on my second reading. Takes ages but I'm addicted!

Oh really? Unicorns on Skagos?
I will have to read the whole thing again, won't I?
Ah well, it might just pass the time... until 2015 or whenever hmm

Edd is totally like Eeyore, why had that not occurred to me grin.

Canidae Sun 15-Sep-13 21:55:16

But unicorns are rumored to live on Skagos. And cannibals!

Love Edd. He reminds me of Eeyore!

"Place was overrun with rats when we moved in. The spearwives killed the nasty buggers. Now the place is overrun with spearwives. There's days I want the rats back." grin

NotYoMomma Sun 15-Sep-13 21:54:55

everytime someone wonders if he will die before completion he kills a Stark trufax

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 21:49:44

Aegon is Rhaegar's son and Osha is the wilding woman looking after Rickon.

I love Dolorous Edd Tollett in the Nights Watch. [I'm paraphrasing here] "We'll fight to the last man!" "Probably me," said Edd.

shock Jon is NOT boring! <<clutches pearls>>
But I like Rickon riding Shaggydog in to battle grin - not sure that unicorns are likely to feature though grin

Thanks, I could not find the prophesy that quickly.
That all makes sense - I like the Mountain That Rides as the 'mountains blowing in the wind'.

I can imagine a worse childhood than growing up with the wildlings - his wildling woman (?name) is clearly quite fond of him even if she is as Hard As Nails.

SummerSevern Sun 15-Sep-13 21:41:55

Yes, GRRM makes such a big deal about how there sre always 3 heads to the dragon. So I reckon it's Dany, Jon and SPOILER what's-his-name, the supposedly dead son of Rhaegar(?) from the last book.

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 21:34:49

Rickon will be completely wilding by the time he comes back from Skagos! Could be interesting given how the wildings have been allowed to pass beyond the wall. I could imagine the North being united by Rickon as King in the North and the wildings accepting him as king as he was raised as a wilding himself.

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 21:32:56

The witch's prophesy said that Drogo will return when:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

The sun rises in the west and sets in the east could be a reference to Quentyn Martell (Martell sigil being the sun), he came from the West but died in the East.

The seas go dry could be a reference to the Dothraki sea, which is drying out and the grass is dying.

The mountains could be the pyramids in Meereen collapsing after Dany's dragons destroy them. (Although I wonder if it could refer to Gregor Clegane in some way as he was known as the Mountain that Rides).

At the end of ADWD Dany gets her period, but she isn't expecting it, which has led some to speculate that she is having a miscarriage and therefore her womb has "quickened" again.

So Dany could well have a living child at some point in the future and Drogo will return (zombie-like maybe? Like Catelyn or Dondarrion, or she could just name the child Drogo?).

Canidae Sun 15-Sep-13 21:32:09

I find Jon Snow quite boring. shock

With Jon in the Nights Watch, Robb dead, Sansa captive (for now), Arya in Braavos and Bran becoming a tree, I want Rickon to take back Winterfell. I want him riding into battle on Shaggydog surrounded by unicorns!

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 21:25:00

Some people think Lyanna ran away with Rhaegar because she loved him, rather than him kidnapping her. There isn't really much evidence for this, other than it being a nicer outcome for her.

The best evidence for this is that she says to Ned that Robert wouldn't be faithful to her (i.e. indicating that she wasn't all that into being married to Robert anyway) and that Ned said to Robert that he never saw the "iron underneath" Lyanna, which would indicate that she knew her own mind and would make her own decisions.

Still doesn't make it any better for poor Elia Martell though! Rhaegar believed he needed three children but Elia could only give him two, so he ran off with a younger woman! Git.

Jon could get together with Daenerys and the might even have a child together? <excited>
How exactly did the foretelling go by the witch who 'revived' Khal Drogo and doomed her child?

Oh, I like that theory!

So Lyanna may have died in childbirth rather than having been raped to death? Or both sad?

I can see Jon making a Good and Just King.

It would also mean he is Catelyn's nephew, wouldn't it?

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 21:11:52

Well there is talk in the fandom that Jon is Lyanna's son, not Ned's. In Ned's flashback to when he tried to save Lyanna he descibes her lying in her "bed of blood" which is a term used elsewhere in the books to describe the birthing bed. Then there is Lyanna's dying wish; "Promise me Ned" which it is thought could be her asking Ned to keep Jon safe. The only way he could do that would be to pretend Jon was his own, as Robert would have killed Jon if he knew he was Rhaegar's son.

This would make Jon a potential heir to the throne (although the Nights Watch vows may be a problem), but it could also make him one of the three heads of the dragon.

Fire and Ice clearly implies some fight between Hot and Cold, so my money is on the North (Jon Snow) and Dragons (Dany).
Although... will she every learn to control her dragons and actually be able to use them? They seem a bit of a liability for the time being.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now