AIBU to be so angry to have just found out that 'Game Of Thrones' has not been completed yet?

(94 Posts)

Well, am I?

So I worked myself through all 5 books (7 if you coung that 2 of them come in 2 parts) and only then to I find out that the next installment won't be fecking published until 2015 shockangry!
I mean, I ask you!!

<<sigh>>
sad
<unfullfilled and frustrated>

Somebody could've warned me....

Misery is a book by Stephen King that got made into a pretty good film. It's about a woman who basically kidnaps her favourite writer and makes him write his next book the way she wants. grin

I'd keep watching the tv series! It gets better and better.

nooka Sun 15-Sep-13 17:53:28

I'm surprised you'd not picked that up before you started to read them to be honest. There was a huge gap between 4 and 5, and a lot of complaining (hence the Gaiman article). The complaints weren't so much about the gap, but the misinformation, as George RR kept saying that the book was due out, Amazon had release dates covers etc and then nothing. Repeatedly. For years. It was very annoying. I really would not hold your breath, and the chances that books 6 and 7 will be published by 2015 I would have thought were slim to none.

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 17:57:00

Renly is gay? Wow, that went completely over my head. Jaime is dreadful, can you imagine what MN would say about a man who not only had sex with his twin sister but fathered three children with her? And forced her to abort her DH's child if I remember correctly. Red flags everywhere.

I can't stand Stannis, he's so wooden. Jon Snow is fab though, and Samwell, and Tyrion is my absolute fave.

Oh bugger it, I'm going to have to read them again now. grin

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 18:03:16

Ah but Brienne seems to be the thing that may redeem Jaime. I don't think he forced Cersei to abort Robert's child, I don't think she needed any encouragement at all to do that, she was intent on cuckolding him because of Lyanna.

Stannis is hilarious, he has an amazing dry wit and doesn't suffer fools at all. I want a series about Davos and Stannis' bromance.

So is Discworld really that good? It's so enormous I feel daunted. If I know absolutely nothing about it, where should I start?

Nagoo Sun 15-Sep-13 18:05:57

<ignores nooka>

Renly being gay I hadn't spotted either. Really? confused

Tyrion is great, so wise for all his obvious weaknesses.

Re Jamie: those are not Red Flags, they are Red Banners of epic proportions. Horrible vain horrible self-interested man <gives him a kick>
Brienne may be his (partial) redemption, but I thought he was beyond that... ?

No, I don't like Stannis either.
If he is so keen on who should be the rightful king then he should aligne himself with Daenerys, non?

I may have to read them all again, too grin

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 18:08:28

But, but, but he had sex with his SISTER! Poor old Brienne deserves better than that.

KateCroydon Sun 15-Sep-13 18:10:16

Jaime didn't force Cersei to abort Robert's child. All her own doing. He did throw Bran from the tower though.

Would still rather date him than Stannis. Scary scary man.

GoT wiki books not TV

Brilliant song grin!!

I love nerds with a sense of humour.

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 18:15:03

The baratheons conquered the targaryens. Therefore Stannis is the rightful king unless Danaerys defeats him.

<dedicated Stannis supporter here>

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 18:15:52

Oh god I'd forgotten about him throwing Bran from the tower. The Stark's really aren't the luckiest of families, are they?

Jaime is a strange character; his actions in the first books don't seem to marry with the man he becomes later on.

WRT Renly, am I thinking of the right person? The sadistic one?

SilverApples Sun 15-Sep-13 18:16:45

'So is Discworld really that good? It's so enormous I feel daunted. If I know absolutely nothing about it, where should I start?'

You have to think of Discworld being a bit like this
www.geometrycode.com/wp-content/uploads/img/sg/seed-of-life.png

Interlocking stories that create a whole.
Start with Guards Guards or Wyrd sisters.
Yes, for those of us that are DW fans, it is one of the most original, innovative and fantastically eccentric series ever written.

Pachacuti Sun 15-Sep-13 18:17:17

You don't need to read all of Discworld in order (in fact, skip the first two (The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic) unless you are a fantasy nerd, as those were written as parodies of other fantasy epics and it was only towards the end of TLF that Pratchett seemed to realise that he could do something interesting of his own using this setting).

There's actually a diagram of possible approaches to reading order.

nooka Sun 15-Sep-13 18:17:46

I don't think that Renly is particularly identified as being gay in the books, but he only has a bit part really. I think they added that in the series to add some more sexual tension (and include a bit of male totty to slightly balance the excessive tit scenes).

Not sure about red flags and Jamie, as he seems pretty trapped in that relationship, and Cercei is just as bad if not worse. In any case he can't get married as he is in the Kingsguard.

I thought that the series was done very well (so far I've not seen series 3 yet) apart from the gratuitous sex scenes which I found very grating. I have tried to avoid reading the books too close to watching it though because obviously they've left things out and made a few changes which I think would really jar. I have the DVDs with commentary so sometimes they explain the changes which is interesting.

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 18:27:03

Ah, I was confusing Renly with Ramsey. I am definitely going to reread these as I think I probably missed a lot the first time round.

KateCroydon Sun 15-Sep-13 18:28:42

@RatHammock

The sadistic flayer is Ramsay Snow/Bolton.

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 18:36:43

Oh that flaying stuff made me feel ill. He really was a particularly horrible chap.

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Sun 15-Sep-13 18:43:39

Yeah, s'true, GRRM is very slow writer. They do say he has told the producers of the TV show what's going to happen in case he does peg it before he's done. Or if they overtake the books, which seems likely.

Link to Neil Gaiman's George RR Martin is not your bitch comment...

Canidae Sun 15-Sep-13 18:44:37

Wanring. May be spoilers.

I Love Jaime!

Renly being gay was in the books but it was subtle. I remember Jaime saying something to Loras about 'shoving his sword so deep that even Renly won't find it'.

And Loras' reaction to Renly's death and when talking to Tyrion about marriage Loras says 'When the sun has set, no candle can replace it.'

Oberyn also refers to Loras as Renly's little rose.

KateCroydon Sun 15-Sep-13 18:57:46

@RatHammock,

Stuff of nightmares I agree. Theon's a fool, but he didn't deserve that.

Oh, the torture scenes... I skipped over those, Theon's and the 'Blue Bard's', or whatever his name was. Flaying sounds like one of those particularly evil inventions that does not make you proud to be part of the Human Race envy <-[boak]. Theon is a bit of a weasel, but most certainly did not deserve his fate.

Yy Cersei and Jamie are as bad as each other, morally and in some of their actions. But Jamie seems to have more redeeming features and flashes of kindsness and he looks great.

Jamie was sent to join the King's Guard after he had been found in bed with Cersei by their father, hadn't he?
And Robert Baratheon is only king because he ursurped the throne after Jamie had killed Aeron/Argon (I get confused with all these Targaryans, not helped by the fact that they marry their sisters to 'keep the bloodline pure' hmm.

RatHammock Sun 15-Sep-13 19:48:24

I did actually end up feeling sorry for Cersei by the end of the last book. And yy to Jaime looking good. grin

I wonder if Benjen Stark is ever going to make an appearance? He sounds like he'd be an interesting chap, though perhaps introducing new characters is not really what this series needs!

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 19:52:42

Jaime was named to the Kings Guard by Aerys because Aerys was annoyed with Tywin Lannister and so deprived him of his heir. Tywin is mightly pissed about that.

Rhaegar (heir to the throne) then kidnapped Lyanna Stark (Ned's sister and Robert's betrothed). Ned's father and older brother travelled to Kings Landing to petition Aerys to intervene, but the King roasted them alive instead and then demanded Robert and Ned's heads. Instead, Robert and Ned rebelled against the throne. Robert defeated Rhaegar in battle and Tywin Lannister sacked Kings Landing (but only once he could be sure to be on the winning side). Aerys was going to burn Kings Landing to the ground and demanded Jaime kill his father, which Jaime wasn't going to do and he killed Aerys to stop him destroying the city.

But as far as history is concerned, a throne won in battle by conquest is fairly won is it not? Otherwise, Aegon the Conquerer (or IRL William the Conquerer would not have any claim to the throne).

MarianneEnjolras Sun 15-Sep-13 19:53:21

Benjen isn't a new character. He was in the first book but has mysteriously vanished while ranging beyond the wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now