Suggest a book that will keep me glued to my kindle

(42 Posts)

Some clues to help you out:
- I like Jodi Piccoult but not overly chick-litty authors
- I like Austen but not Hardy
- I've just finished The Casual Vacancy and found it far too depressing.
- Best books I've read recently include: The Book Thief, Kashmiri Shawl and You Before Me
- I quite like teenage fiction (Noughts and Crosses, Divergent Series, Hunger Games etc)

I really, really need an engaging book.

Go!

Theas18 Tue 17-Sep-13 08:37:48

Sophie Kinsella 20s girl.

Less overtly chicklit and a really clever idea.

pennyink Mon 16-Sep-13 20:43:08

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry... a perfect novel. I read it ten years ago and I still think of those characters from time to time.

FairyPenguin Mon 16-Sep-13 20:09:42

Glad to be of help! I have taken note of some of the books you said you liked (Kashmiri Shawl, Noughts and Crosses, Divergent Series). smile

Wow. Thank you all. I've just been through the thread and had a lovely half hour reading reviews and adding books to my wishlist. It was so nice being able to go for recommendations rather than browsing aimlessly.

I suspect FairyPenguin might be me as our tastes are pretty identical. I hadn't read Diane Chamberlain though and one of her books was 59p so I've bought that.

Hello Sassy, I didn't know about the new Khaled Hosseini so am now holding you responsible for my most expensive ever kindle book purchase grin

elmerelephant Sat 14-Sep-13 18:29:30

Ive just started the Knife of never letting go, Ive also really enjoyed where did you go Bernadette by Maria Semple, and Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.

Most of the books mentioned on this thread are great

Badvoc Sat 14-Sep-13 17:54:42

Game of thrones seriss

Worksitoutwithapencil Sat 14-Sep-13 17:48:22

Hi
For teen fiction you could try the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness, the first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go.
I read all 3 recently, found them unputdownable and really enjoyed them.

Waswondering Sat 14-Sep-13 09:43:18

The Unexpected Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.

Gentle and gripping.

DropYourSword Sat 14-Sep-13 09:40:50

I loved:

Wild Swans
The Farseer Trilogy (except the third book got really boring towards the end)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

For trashy sex fiction I loved The Black Dagger Brotherhood (one you got past the awful names and terms they used, and some of the simpering feeble female characters, but hey it was hot!)

Cherrypi Sat 14-Sep-13 09:33:57

The Rosie project, kiss me first and non fiction the psychopath test are my recent favourites.

BadSeedsAddict Fri 13-Sep-13 23:02:41

Anything by Kate Atkinson but definitely Behind The Scenes at the Museum:
Anything by Anne Fine;
How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff.

samu2 Fri 13-Sep-13 22:53:30

No Angel.. Penny Vincenzi. It's a trilogy.

I need this question answering too! I just finished A Song of Fire and Ice series and I was gripped despite being more of a John Irving, Kazuo Ishiguro, Ian McEwan type of gal.

Would recommend them.

Now need something new to fill a huge hole in my life.

By the way, I loved both snow girl, 100 year man .... couldn't put them down on my honeymoon!

Teddytoo99 Fri 13-Sep-13 21:13:02

My friends and I have all read a new book on Kindle this summer, it's called A Week at Meredith's, and it had us all glued!! It's not long or difficult, but it's a real page turner. Hope you like it too smile

whatwoulddexterdo Fri 13-Sep-13 20:19:06

Just ead the age of miracles really enjoyed it.

Billwoody Fri 13-Sep-13 19:26:24

I second Douglas Kennedy and notes from an exhibition.
maggie o Farrell also worth a look

FairyPenguin Fri 13-Sep-13 19:21:58

I have very similar tastes to you, OP.

Have you read any Diane Chamberlain? She's quite good. Also Adele Parks.

Also Patrick Gale. I particularly liked Notes From An Exhibition.

Also Room by Emma Donoghue, and I also agree with The Hundred Year Old Man, and Gone Girl.

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.

Douglas Kennedy, Victoria Hislop?

Ooh, The Time Travellers Wife?

TallGiraffe Fri 13-Sep-13 19:17:29

Necessary lies was brilliant, the first book I've stayed up late reading in ages.

sassytheFIRST Fri 13-Sep-13 19:13:41

Hello truth

Have you read the new one by the bloke wot wrote The Kite Runner - And The Mountains Echoed? Pretty damn good (tho perhaps not quite as good as KR or Thousand Splendid Suns).

I'd also recommend A Company of Liars by Karen Maitland - really atmospheric depiction of medieval England.

Am lurking on your thread as also in need of some new kindle-fodder.smile

BramblyHedge Fri 13-Sep-13 19:09:46

I was recently unable to put Wool down

Thrustbadger Fri 13-Sep-13 19:07:25

The String Diaries.

RestlessSoul Fri 13-Sep-13 19:03:10

I'm halfway through Apple Tree Yard (recommended by chicaguapa)
It's captivating, I have been glued to my kindle all afternoon.

notnowbernard Fri 13-Sep-13 14:36:19

Room

highlandcoo Fri 13-Sep-13 14:33:30

Yy to The Light Between Oceans. Beautifully written book.

Try Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, East of the Sun by Julia Grigson (because you liked The Kashmiri Shawl), Far To Go by Alison Pick (because you liked The Book Thief) and Secret River by Kate Grenville.

Just realised none of these novels has a contemporary setting. I seem to go for books set in the past, or in different countries - just find them more interesting.

DuchessofMalfi Fri 13-Sep-13 09:23:01

I second The Snow Child. Lovely novel, but a slightly disappointing ending. How about The Song of Achilles by Madeleine Miller? I was completely gripped by that one. Could not put it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now