BRILLIANT WW2 spy thriller- a must-read

(11 Posts)
AnonYonimousBird Mon 30-Sep-13 13:51:21

I am so so so keen to read this.

TunipTheUnconquerable Sun 29-Sep-13 19:02:00

If you're ok with Young Adult crossover, Codename Verity is unmissable on the same topic.

Honestly, I've read about 100 books so far this year and it was probably the best.

MrsSlocombe Fri 27-Sep-13 21:12:15

Flames in the Field by Rita Kramer is excellent (factual account about women in SOE, and only £2.61 on kindle). Oh and for fictional if you don't mind a Young Adult crossover type book, Tamar by Mal Peet is v good (SOE/Holland theme)

whatwoulddexterdo Fri 27-Sep-13 21:05:03

Thank you so much BOF for this recommendation. Have read four chapters and am loving it. And i got it for only £1.80 on amazon.
Thanks

marissab Tue 17-Sep-13 08:37:59

Ooo may look pit for this. Never read any of this genre except enigma. I adored it! Oh and if any of you loved the bletchly circle on tv, as i did, they're doing a new seried! Sooo excited!

BOF Sat 07-Sep-13 09:15:18

Wow! That's brilliant, you must be really proud of him.

highlandcoo Sat 07-Sep-13 07:24:39

Thanks for the recommendation BOF - looks excellent.

My Dad was involved in transmitting some of the disinformation regarding the D Day landings, so this will be especially interesting for me smile

BOF Fri 06-Sep-13 23:41:17

Really? Any other recommendations?

I've been on a factual binge recently, reading Stalingrad and stuff about Enigma and the end of the war. So reading this was a real treat.

GeorginaWorsley Fri 06-Sep-13 23:06:16

Readit on KIndle in April.
Agree it is excellent
I lo e this kindof stuff though and constantly search Amazon .
Have read most WW2 spy stuffout there I think!

BOF Fri 06-Sep-13 20:02:58

I'm trying to think of my dream cast now...Eddie Redmayne as Owen Quinn. Stuck on Nathalie though. Has anyone else read this?

BOF Fri 06-Sep-13 18:19:24

The Best Of All Our Spies by Alex Gerlis is absolutely unputdownable. Thoroughly-researched, you can see the bits based on true events if you are a WW2 history geek like me, but it's a very human story showing the devastating consequences of war. If you are interested in the role of women in espionage, and in particular the French resistance, this is the book for you. I hope somebody options it for a movie- it would be fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now