Donna Tartt - anyone else waiting for the new book??

(14 Posts)
lottieandmia Thu 05-Sep-13 21:37:30

I loved The Secret History and The Little Friend. It's a shame she writes so few tbh!

FoundAChopinLizt Thu 05-Sep-13 21:39:20

I liked The Secret History, but not the second one. The new one's on my Wish List.

southeastdweller Thu 05-Sep-13 21:42:14

No, 800 pages is too much of a commitment for me.

lottieandmia Thu 05-Sep-13 21:42:18

TSH is better than TLF, certainly.

HumphreyCobbler Thu 05-Sep-13 21:49:47

I found the Little Friend such a let down after the first - it may in fact be a good book, it just was not what I was expecting. I will give the next one a go though.

lottieandmia Fri 06-Sep-13 11:01:25

The Secret History is better, I agree - that was a hard act to follow!

WowOoo Fri 06-Sep-13 11:04:38

Thanks - I hadn't heard about new one.

I loved both of her books differently IYSWIM.

I'd rather a few excellent books than many average ones myself LottieadnMia.smile

lottieandmia Fri 06-Sep-13 11:23:47

True enough Wow. There is just nobody who writes like her though.

louloubellamozzarella Fri 06-Sep-13 11:42:39

Secret History is one of my all-time favourite books. Didn't like the second though. Would definitely give the third a try... any details about release date/title? thanks

lottieandmia Fri 06-Sep-13 11:46:05

Its called The Goldfinch It will be released 22nd October.

MooncupGoddess Fri 06-Sep-13 11:48:41

Impossible to replicate The Secret History, but The Little Friend is rather an achievement too, it's more than ten years since it was published but I still remember almost every detail. Can never reread it though as it did nothing for my poisonous snake phobia.

burberryqueen Fri 06-Sep-13 11:51:05

oooh the Secret History - what a first novel!
for some time i was convinced that Donna Tartt was a nom de plume for Bret Easton Ellis

WowOoo Fri 06-Sep-13 12:24:00

Yes, lottie I agree she's different.

I borrowed a few books that friends said were vaguely on a par. Can't say I thought they did and can't remember authors.. Anyone suggestions?

lottieandmia Fri 06-Sep-13 19:26:06

I've not been able to find anything remotely like her - she's a one off. I do manage to find other stuff I enjoy reading but she has a unique style. I always got the impression that Harriet in TLF is based upon her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now